Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Bar Chart Axis Labels

Hi, I am trying to create a bar chart (horizontal bars) where the range of my
data goes from -100% to 100%. Here is the data.

Part 1 -45%
Part 2 -15%
Part 3 -5%
Part 4 25%
Part 5 90%

When I create this part, the labels will be on the left side of the vertical
axis, which crosses at 0%, which I want. However, for those with a negative
percentage, I don't want the label to be inside the bar (it makes it harder
to read) on the left side of the axis. Is there any way to put the axis
labels for the negative numbers (parts 1-3) on the right side of the axis and
the positive numbers (parts 4&5) on the left side of the axis.

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can do the opposite. If you right-click on the axis and select format
Axis, then remove tick mark labels from the Patterns tab... then right-click
in the middle fo the chart and select chart options, then pick Category Name
(or whichever other option) for Label contains to show the labels outside of
the bars.

"SeanF74" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to create a bar chart (horizontal bars) where the range of my
data goes from -100% to 100%. Here is the data.

Part 1 -45%
Part 2 -15%
Part 3 -5%
Part 4 25%
Part 5 90%

When I create this part, the labels will be on the left side of the vertical
axis, which crosses at 0%, which I want. However, for those with a negative
percentage, I don't want the label to be inside the bar (it makes it harder
to read) on the left side of the axis. Is there any way to put the axis
labels for the negative numbers (parts 1-3) on the right side of the axis and
the positive numbers (parts 4&5) on the left side of the axis.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I didn't specify this before but I am doing this in Excel 2007.

The only label option locations I can select are Center, Inside End, and
Inside Base. These three choices all end up with the labels inside the bar.
Also, I have some data that goes above 100% that I don't fully show on my
graph, so the inside end will not work because it won't show the label on the
graph at all.

Thanks

"SeanF74" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to create a bar chart (horizontal bars) where the range of my
data goes from -100% to 100%. Here is the data.

Part 1 -45%
Part 2 -15%
Part 3 -5%
Part 4 25%
Part 5 90%

When I create this part, the labels will be on the left side of the vertical
axis, which crosses at 0%, which I want. However, for those with a negative
percentage, I don't want the label to be inside the bar (it makes it harder
to read) on the left side of the axis. Is there any way to put the axis
labels for the negative numbers (parts 1-3) on the right side of the axis and
the positive numbers (parts 4&5) on the left side of the axis.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That would certainly change a few things. Since I don't have 07 where I am
right now, I can only give general tips there... If you click one of the
labels, you should be able to select Chart Tools and use the Layout tab then
click Data Labels in the Labels group to see what options you have in there.

"SeanF74" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to create a bar chart (horizontal bars) where the range of my
data goes from -100% to 100%. Here is the data.

Part 1 -45%
Part 2 -15%
Part 3 -5%
Part 4 25%
Part 5 90%

When I create this part, the labels will be on the left side of the vertical
axis, which crosses at 0%, which I want. However, for those with a negative
percentage, I don't want the label to be inside the bar (it makes it harder
to read) on the left side of the axis. Is there any way to put the axis
labels for the negative numbers (parts 1-3) on the right side of the axis and
the positive numbers (parts 4&5) on the left side of the axis.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2007
Horizontal bars, centered Y axis
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xzb221eylmz/09_28_09.xlsx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have another link that will show the same thing or can you describe
how to do it? My work blocks that website.