Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default CELL FORMAT

In a worksheet cell A1 is in General format, and has the entry 0607. Cell A2
(same column) is also in General format, but has 607. When I add the 0 at
the front 607, Excel deletes the zero as soon as I click outside the cell. I
don't understand how that can happen since both cells are in General format.
What is causing one cell to accept the 0 at the front but not the other?
--
William
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
check cell A1 it should have ' at the beginning, you can custom format the
cell to reflect the 0 as 0000

"William" wrote:

In a worksheet cell A1 is in General format, and has the entry 0607. Cell A2
(same column) is also in General format, but has 607. When I add the 0 at
the front 607, Excel deletes the zero as soon as I click outside the cell. I
don't understand how that can happen since both cells are in General format.
What is causing one cell to accept the 0 at the front but not the other?
--
William

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CM CM is offline

William,

You will need to format cells as 'Text' in order to get the applicaiton to
accept a leading zero -- otherwise it will recognize it as a number.

"William" wrote:

In a worksheet cell A1 is in General format, and has the entry 0607. Cell A2
(same column) is also in General format, but has 607. When I add the 0 at
the front 607, Excel deletes the zero as soon as I click outside the cell. I
don't understand how that can happen since both cells are in General format.
What is causing one cell to accept the 0 at the front but not the other?
--
William

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just format the cell as Text and enter try to enter the value

Select the range and do Right Click and select Format
CellsNumberCategoryText and give ok.

Otherwise before entering the value in a cell type ' and enter your Zero
value numbers.

If this post helps, Click Yes!

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"William" wrote:

In a worksheet cell A1 is in General format, and has the entry 0607. Cell A2
(same column) is also in General format, but has 607. When I add the 0 at
the front 607, Excel deletes the zero as soon as I click outside the cell. I
don't understand how that can happen since both cells are in General format.
What is causing one cell to accept the 0 at the front but not the other?
--
William

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The difference is that the content of A1 is the text string 0607, whereas
the content of A2 is the number 607.
You can confirm this by seeing that =ISTEXT(A1) and =ISNUMBER(A2) will show
TRUE, whereas =ISTEXT(A2) and =ISNUMBER(A1) will show FALSE.

Formatting the cell will affect only cells containing a number, & will not
affect text. If you want to display the leading zero for the number 607,
custom format as 0000
--
David Biddulph