Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default keeping text in 1 column

How can I keep text from overflowing into the next column - if the cell is
blank?
I've tried text wrap - which works, but than the cell row expands - which I
don't want. I know I can manually set it back, but I have a large sheet
where I will run into this many times --
It doesn't seems logical to set the column to textwrap to keep it from
running into the next cell -- but then having to manuually set each cell back.
Any suggestions? anything I can do to the column to the right to keep it
from accepting overflow text? I tried textwrap - but that did not make any
difference....
Thanks for any recommendations you might have!!!

Cindy
--
Cindy B
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CM CM is offline

Cindy,

If you set that column wide enough to accommodate your longest text string,
it will not wrap or flow over.

"Cindy" wrote:

How can I keep text from overflowing into the next column - if the cell is
blank?
I've tried text wrap - which works, but than the cell row expands - which I
don't want. I know I can manually set it back, but I have a large sheet
where I will run into this many times --
It doesn't seems logical to set the column to textwrap to keep it from
running into the next cell -- but then having to manuually set each cell back.
Any suggestions? anything I can do to the column to the right to keep it
from accepting overflow text? I tried textwrap - but that did not make any
difference....
Thanks for any recommendations you might have!!!

Cindy
--
Cindy B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you can keep the wrap on, then hihlight your workbook and set yoru rwo height
to 12.75 (default row height). It is generally assumed that people will want
to see everything that is written in a cell when written, so this is how
Excel treats the cells. Otherwise, someone else will be unhappy that the cell
doesn't all show. :-)

"Cindy" wrote:

How can I keep text from overflowing into the next column - if the cell is
blank?
I've tried text wrap - which works, but than the cell row expands - which I
don't want. I know I can manually set it back, but I have a large sheet
where I will run into this many times --
It doesn't seems logical to set the column to textwrap to keep it from
running into the next cell -- but then having to manuually set each cell back.
Any suggestions? anything I can do to the column to the right to keep it
from accepting overflow text? I tried textwrap - but that did not make any
difference....
Thanks for any recommendations you might have!!!

Cindy
--
Cindy B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can insert ="" or ' into your blank cells to make them used but still
blank, this will mess up conditional formatters if you use =ISBLANK function
but otherwise I have not found anything else it effects.

"Cindy" wrote:

How can I keep text from overflowing into the next column - if the cell is
blank?
I've tried text wrap - which works, but than the cell row expands - which I
don't want. I know I can manually set it back, but I have a large sheet
where I will run into this many times --
It doesn't seems logical to set the column to textwrap to keep it from
running into the next cell -- but then having to manuually set each cell back.
Any suggestions? anything I can do to the column to the right to keep it
from accepting overflow text? I tried textwrap - but that did not make any
difference....
Thanks for any recommendations you might have!!!

Cindy
--
Cindy B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--
make the change

"Cindy" wrote:

How can I keep text from overflowing into the next column - if the cell is
blank?
I've tried text wrap - which works, but than the cell row expands - which I
don't want. I know I can manually set it back, but I have a large sheet
where I will run into this many times --
It doesn't seems logical to set the column to textwrap to keep it from
running into the next cell -- but then having to manuually set each cell back.
Any suggestions? anything I can do to the column to the right to keep it
from accepting overflow text? I tried textwrap - but that did not make any
difference....
Thanks for any recommendations you might have!!!

Cindy
--
Cindy B

Hello I am facing the same issue , unfortunately all the 3
reponses/solutions have not worked. Please provide some more options. Here I
am using an excel sheet shared by another person. He has managed to get this
perfect. The data that we cut and paste into the shell will appear to ROLL
DOWN, from the formula bar in a clean and neat manner. Hence to read the
whole content, All i need is to keep the mouse on the coloumn. How to achieve
this ? I dont want to ask the other person manually. some one please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello I am facing the same issue , unfortunately all the 3
reponses/solutions have not worked. Please provide some more options. Here I
am using an excel sheet shared by another person. He has managed to get this
perfect. The data that we cut and paste into the shell will appear to ROLL
DOWN, from the formula bar in a clean and neat manner. Hence to read the
whole content, All i need is to keep the mouse on the coloumn. How to achieve
this ? I dont want to ask the other person manually. some one please help

I checked the following link
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...510211033.aspx, but this talks
about merging the cells, which is not exactly what I want to do. The issue is
exaclty what Cindy explained, a whole lot of output from a sh logs command
from a Cisco Router. that can come to say 32 lines of data.
So I need to know how to put the whole 32 line text in a single coloumn.
Like that there are several coloums which i need to fill up with other show
commands. Hence merge cells will be a manual work and however I tested that,
it wont work
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--
make the change

"Cindy" wrote:

How can I keep text from overflowing into the next column - if the cell is
blank?
I've tried text wrap - which works, but than the cell row expands - which I
don't want.

I know I can manually set it back,

This is possible using Mr.Sean Timmons method. I tried this and it works ,
but as Cindy said below, unquote "