Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with Office 2007 Standard

Whenever I double-click on an Excel file to open it, The Excel program opens
again in a new session rather than just opening the file in the current
session.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the usual fix for this.

ToolsOptionsGeneral Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications etc."

In 2007 that would be ButtonExcel OptionsAdvancedGeneral

If no joy with that................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:41:02 -0700, Joe Z <Joe
wrote:

Whenever I double-click on an Excel file to open it, The Excel program opens
again in a new session rather than just opening the file in the current
session.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SP2 will not fix your problem AFAIK

"Did not work" means what?

Error message or the re-installer ran but did stop your problem?

Gord

wrote:

Whenever I double-click on an Excel file to open it, The Excel program opens
again in a new session rather than just opening the file in the current
session.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're right; SP2 did not fix anything.

When I ran the unreg it just opened excel. I closed excel and ran rhe reg
and excel opened again. However, I'm still having the same problm.. Could it
be something in the registry?

Joe

wrote:

Whenever I double-click on an Excel file to open it, The Excel program opens
again in a new session rather than just opening the file in the current
session.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The steps I gave should get you one instance of Excel.

You could try these manual steps..............

If you are running Vista rhese steps may not do anything.

Instructions for Windows XP and earlier.

Go to StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile Types

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLXS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE12\EXCEL.EXE" /e

You must have the double quotes and the <space/e prevents a new blank book
from opening. Remove that if you wish.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Again...........if no joy, I'm out of ideas.

Gord

wrote:

Whenever I double-click on an Excel file to open it, The Excel program opens
again in a new session rather than just opening the file in the current
session.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The setting for the .XLSX extension was correct. It was the seting for the
..XLS older versions that had to be restored. Once I did that, everything
worked fine.

Thanks for your help.
Joe

wrote:

Whenever I double-click on an Excel file to open it, The Excel program opens
again in a new session rather than just opening the file in the current
session.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for letting us know.

Gord