Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating Average of Certain Cells

I want to find the average time of cells that only have X in them. For
example:
Name Comercial TIME
Belair X 0:30
York 0:15
Dulaney X 0:45
Providence 0:15
Joppa X 0:55

What formula do I use?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Try this ARRAY formula

=AVERAGE(IF(B1:B20="X",C1:C20))

This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

Mike
"Tags" wrote:

I want to find the average time of cells that only have X in them. For
example:
Name Comercial TIME
Belair X 0:30
York 0:15
Dulaney X 0:45
Providence 0:15
Joppa X 0:55

What formula do I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MikeH has given you a great answer but if you are using Excel 2070 a better
way is to use AVERAGEIF which does not need to be array entered
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tags" wrote in message
I want to find the average time of cells that only have X in them. For
example:
Name Comercial TIME
Belair X 0:30
York 0:15
Dulaney X 0:45
Providence 0:15
Joppa X 0:55

What formula do I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
how about 2 formulas in one.....
=SUMIF(B2:B10,"X",C2:C10)/COUNTIF(B2:B10,"X")

adjust ranges to suit
Regards
FSt1

"Tags" wrote:

I want to find the average time of cells that only have X in them. For
example:
Name Comercial TIME
Belair X 0:30
York 0:15
Dulaney X 0:45
Providence 0:15
Joppa X 0:55

What formula do I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi.

Paste the formula in to formula bar and alter the ranges to suit your needs
THEN
press and hold down CTRL and SHIFT key and tap ENTER

Mike