Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default after creating a copy of a sheet, several rows missing (not hidden

Every month I copy the monthly sheet (i.e. September) and then create a new
sheet (i.e. October). I then do all changes that need to be made. However,
when I copied the September over and renamed it October, about sixty rows
were missing. They were not consecutive rows and they were not hidden. They
just disappeared.

I am not sure what happened to them and how to make sure that it doesn't
happen again. Fortunately, my editor had the correct version but I still had
several hours worth of work trying to duplicate the October sheet correctly.
This happened to two different files. Can anyone tell me what could have
possibly happened and how to fix it?
--
dcdus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default after creating a copy of a sheet, several rows missing (not hi

I select the sheet at the bottom and right click and then copy it and then it
creates a second copy. I then rename it. I would say that missing rows has
happened a few times over the past four or five years but it's only missed
one or two rows. This time it missed about 40 rows (and, again, they were
disbursed). The problem is, the file is a list of advertisers in a
publications. So, when the rows get lost, the paid advertisers no longer get
the ads that they reserved. It's a problem because I didn't know they were
missing until I was looking for one of the advertisers and couldn't find
them. Then I compared that sheet to the one that I sent my editor and I
found that I was missing several files.
--
dcdus

"dcdus" wrote:

Every month I copy the monthly sheet (i.e. September) and then create a new
sheet (i.e. October). I then do all changes that need to be made. However,
when I copied the September over and renamed it October, about sixty rows
were missing. They were not consecutive rows and they were not hidden. They
just disappeared.

I am not sure what happened to them and how to make sure that it doesn't
happen again. Fortunately, my editor had the correct version but I still had
several hours worth of work trying to duplicate the October sheet correctly.
This happened to two different files. Can anyone tell me what could have
possibly happened and how to fix it?
--
dcdus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would say you are doing something else to make the rows disappear before
you copy the sheet.

Any filtering, copying etc. being done?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:26:01 -0700, dcdus
wrote:

I select the sheet at the bottom and right click and then copy it and then it
creates a second copy. I then rename it. I would say that missing rows has
happened a few times over the past four or five years but it's only missed
one or two rows. This time it missed about 40 rows (and, again, they were
disbursed). The problem is, the file is a list of advertisers in a
publications. So, when the rows get lost, the paid advertisers no longer get
the ads that they reserved. It's a problem because I didn't know they were
missing until I was looking for one of the advertisers and couldn't find
them. Then I compared that sheet to the one that I sent my editor and I
found that I was missing several files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not doing anything else. I am just making a duplicate of the sheet and
changing the name. Could a virus have done that? I had the same issue with
another document as well. Have you ever heard of this happening before? Is
there anything that could make this happen?
--
dcdus

wrote:

I select the sheet at the bottom and right click and then copy it and then it
creates a second copy. I then rename it. I would say that missing rows has
happened a few times over the past four or five years but it's only missed
one or two rows. This time it missed about 40 rows (and, again, they were
disbursed). The problem is, the file is a list of advertisers in a
publications. So, when the rows get lost, the paid advertisers no longer get
the ads that they reserved. It's a problem because I didn't know they were
missing until I was looking for one of the advertisers and couldn't find
them. Then I compared that sheet to the one that I sent my editor and I
found that I was missing several files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

are the missing rows blank, or just gone? if they are just gone, right after
the copy, look at the last row and see if the number matches.

wrote:

I select the sheet at the bottom and right click and then copy it and then it
creates a second copy. I then rename it. I would say that missing rows has
happened a few times over the past four or five years but it's only missed
one or two rows. This time it missed about 40 rows (and, again, they were
disbursed). The problem is, the file is a list of advertisers in a
publications. So, when the rows get lost, the paid advertisers no longer get
the ads that they reserved. It's a problem because I didn't know they were
missing until I was looking for one of the advertisers and couldn't find
them. Then I compared that sheet to the one that I sent my editor and I
found that I was missing several files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have not heard of it happening when you copy the entire sheet as you
described.

Gord