Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jay Jay is offline

Default Populating a column by referencing another workbook

Hi, I'm trying to populate a column of names (column B) for a column of phone
numbers (column A). I know there's some way to link the phone numbers to a
separate workbook that is a large index of names and phone numbers such that
the cells in column B will scan the index and return the correct name for the
phone number. Can someone please help? Is this a vlookup function, an
if-then statement, a macro? I really have no idea how to set this up and I
would appreciate any assistance. Thank you, jay.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like VLOOKUP will do the trick.

Both workbooks have to be open.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for help on VLOOKUP and a sample workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:57:01 -0700, jay
wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to populate a column of names (column B) for a column of phone
numbers (column A). I know there's some way to link the phone numbers to a
separate workbook that is a large index of names and phone numbers such that
the cells in column B will scan the index and return the correct name for the
phone number. Can someone please help? Is this a vlookup function, an
if-then statement, a macro? I really have no idea how to set this up and I
would appreciate any assistance. Thank you, jay.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!
You can use index/match function. Suppoe your orignal data in file1.

in b1:

=INDEX([file1.xlsx]Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100,MATCH(A1,[file1.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100,0))

Where in file1 "b1:b100" hold names for phone numbers. May be there will be
a better solution