Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Find and Count

I have a cell with a bunch of information (combinations of dates, times and
names). I'd like excel to look through the cell, find a name(s) and output
the number of times the name(s) appears in that cell.

Count with Vlookup?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For example, cell X3 has the data: 3/18/2009 6:58 PM by Cole, Jane, 2/3/2009
1:04 PM by Sande, Kellia, 9/26/2008 8:44 PM by Kep, Carole, 11/25/2008 4:14
PM by Soly, Suzie, 3/9/2009 7:27 PM by Sande, Kellia

I need it to search through the data and count the number of times "Kellia"
appears.

I'm currently using ISNUMBER combined with SEARCH to return a True/ False
verdict.

Thanks for taking my case

"Kellia" wrote:

I have a cell with a bunch of information (combinations of dates, times and
names). I'd like excel to look through the cell, find a name(s) and output
the number of times the name(s) appears in that cell.

Count with Vlookup?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to count the number of cells that contain Kellia, you could use a
formula like:

=countif(a:a,"*kellia*")

or if B1 contained Kellia:
=countif(a:a,"*"&b1&"*")

The asterisk are wildcards that represent any amount of characters.

If Kellia could show up multiple times in a cell and you wanted to determine the
number of times that it appeared in that single cell:
=(len(a1)-len(substitute(upper(a1),upper("kellia"),"")))/len("kellia")

=substitute() is case sensitive, so the =upper() functions makes sure that both
strings are uppercase and that means this counts the number of Kellia, KELLIA,
KelLIA, KELLIa, ... appears in the cell.

If you have a range of those cells with possible entries to count:

=sumproduct((len(a1:a10)-len(substitute(upper(a1:a10),upper("kellia"),"")))
/len("kellia"))

Adjust the ranges to match. But you can use the entire column only if you're
using xl2007.

--

Dave Peterson