Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Converting dd:hh:mm to [h]:mm not working.

I am requesting help finding the number of hours and minutes between two
dates. I do not have to take into account work hours or holidays...just raw
hours and minutes. Below is how I am calculating but I arrive at an error.

Cell A1 = 8/4/09 7:18 PM
Cell B1 = 8/5/09 10:02 PM
Cell C1 = "{=TEXT(B1-A1,"dd:hh:mm")}" which converts to 01:02:44, formatted
as "37:30:55"
Cell D1 = "=CONVERT(C1,"day","hr")" which converts to 25:05, formatted as
[h]:mm

I was expecting 26:44 as it is the raw spand of hours and minutes between
these two dates. Can anyone see what I did wrong ?

Thank you in advance, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why not just

=B1-A1

then use custom formatting [h]:mm

and it will return 26:44

Peo Sjoblom

"Joe H." <Joe wrote in message
I am requesting help finding the number of hours and minutes between two
dates. I do not have to take into account work hours or holidays...just
raw
hours and minutes. Below is how I am calculating but I arrive at an error.

Cell A1 = 8/4/09 7:18 PM
Cell B1 = 8/5/09 10:02 PM
Cell C1 = "{=TEXT(B1-A1,"dd:hh:mm")}" which converts to 01:02:44,
formatted
as "37:30:55"
Cell D1 = "=CONVERT(C1,"day","hr")" which converts to 25:05, formatted as
[h]:mm

I was expecting 26:44 as it is the raw spand of hours and minutes between
these two dates. Can anyone see what I did wrong ?

Thank you in advance, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=B1-A1
and format to [h]:mm:ss