Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sheet Dependants

I delete what I think is a standalone sheet only to find that other places in
the workbook sepend on cells in the sheet. Does anyone know of a utility or
add-in that will search a workbook and identify any references to a sheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a built in feature. Under View - Toolbars - Formula auditing. Select all
the cells (Ctrl+A) and then click the "Trace Dependents" button. If there are
no dependents, a message will appear. Otherwise, arrows will appear showing
dependencies (if to other sheets, shows an arrow going to a table icon).
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Mitch Powell" wrote:

I delete what I think is a standalone sheet only to find that other places in
the workbook sepend on cells in the sheet. Does anyone know of a utility or
add-in that will search a workbook and identify any references to a sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use Bill Manville's free FINDLINK addin

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

"Mitch Powell" wrote:

I delete what I think is a standalone sheet only to find that other places in
the workbook sepend on cells in the sheet. Does anyone know of a utility or
add-in that will search a workbook and identify any references to a sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could search for the worksheet name (look through formulas).

But those links could be hidden in lots of places (names, charts, ...).

I like to make a copy of the workbook (so I don't damage the original).

Then I'll move the worksheet to a new workbook (Edit|Move or copy sheet in
xl2003 menus).

Then I can use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

And if you're working with names, I'd get this, too:
Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

Mitch Powell wrote:

I delete what I think is a standalone sheet only to find that other places in
the workbook sepend on cells in the sheet. Does anyone know of a utility or
add-in that will search a workbook and identify any references to a sheet?

--

Dave Peterson