Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Numbering rows and skipping blanks

I'm sure this is easy...

I have a long list of names and I want to number them in the column to the
left. Some of the names are grouped and between these groups there are blank
rows. How can I number each non-blank row, increasing by 1?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say the names are in column B and then in A1 enter 1 and in A2 enter:
=IF(B2<"",MAX($A$1:A1)+1,"") and copy down. For example:

1 apples
2 peaches
3 pumplin
4 pie

5 dogs
6 cats
7 fish

8 flowers
9 trees
10 grass

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200901

"Exceleighton" wrote:

I'm sure this is easy...

I have a long list of names and I want to number them in the column to the
left. Some of the names are grouped and between these groups there are blank
rows. How can I number each non-blank row, increasing by 1?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For some reason it's not working. I entered the formula you mentioned in the
cell adjacent to '25 DODICI' and dragged it down from there. I get this:

1 1809

25 DODICI

1 3 MONTS FLANDERS GOLDEN

1 46ER PALE ALE

2 A LE COQ IMPERIAL EXTRA DOUBLE STOUT

2 ABBAYE DE SAINT BON CHIEN

2 ABITA ABBEY ALE
ABITA AMBER
2 ABITA ANDYGATOR HELLES
ABITA BOCK
3 ABITA CHRISTMAS
ABITA FALLFEST
3 ABITA GOLDEN
3 ABITA JOCKAMO IPA
3 ABITA LIGHT
3 ABITA PECAN HARVEST
3 ABITA PURPLE HAZE
4 ABITA RED
4 ABITA RESTORATION
4 ABITA SATSUMA HARVEST WIT
4 ABITA TURBODOG
4 ABITA WHEAT
4
4 AECHT SCHLENKERLA RAUCHBIER
5 AECHT SCHLEN. RAUCHBIER WEIZ
5

Any ideas?

"Exceleighton" wrote:

I'm sure this is easy...

I have a long list of names and I want to number them in the column to the
left. Some of the names are grouped and between these groups there are blank
rows. How can I number each non-blank row, increasing by 1?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

NOT next to 25DODICI

put the formula immediately below the 1
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200901

"Exceleighton" wrote:

I'm sure this is easy...

I have a long list of names and I want to number them in the column to the
left. Some of the names are grouped and between these groups there are blank
rows. How can I number each non-blank row, increasing by 1?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formula is correct.

You may also try this:
=IF(len(B2)<0,MAX($A$1:A1)+1,"")

Unless the cell contains an invisible text (" " or "space"), both formula may
not work.

Exceleighton wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

Thank you!