Mike

Default Excel Limitations??

Hi,

I'm currently running Excel 2002 on a XP Pro system with
a Pentium 4 (dual CPU) 3.20 GHz with 2.00 GB of RAM.

I have a large spreadsheet which evaluates live stock
quotations. I'm currently receiving about 250,000 quotes
via RTD links.

When I attempted to view more data (up to 300,000) I
started to notice an increased slow down in performance.
Here are some of my stats via Task manager:

avg 50-65% CPU
PF Usage: 644 MB
Totals
Handles: 15407
Threads: 540
Processes: 44

Commit Charge
Total: 659320
Limit: 6133412
Peak: 939716

Physical Memory (K)
Total: 2095780
Available: 1280500
System Cache: 462088

Kernel Memory (K)
Total: 97096
Paged: 58400
NonPaged: 38726

Under processes Excel. EXE takes up about 95% of the CPU
and about 340,000K of Memory usage.

Questions:

1) Does Excel limit the number of RTD links one can have?

2) Can you notice anything in the stats which can
pinpoint what is causing the slowdown?

3) Based on the above question, will upgrading my CPU or
adding more memory improve my performance?

4) Any other suggestions which might impove my
performance? (speed)

thanks,

PS. Should I ask these questions in another section of
this newsgroup?
Peo Sjoblom

This might be of some interest

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecrets.htm

I doubt that upgrading the hardware on your PC will make any difference

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom