Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hOW DO i RETRIEVE A spreadsheet I accidentally closed/lost?

I accidentally clicked on "do not save document" that I had spent hours
working on.
Any way to get it back? Didn't it automaztically save a version?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you never saved, there's nothing to retrieve.

(No, excel doesn't automatically save your documents.)

Saved from a previous post and it may be useful for the next time...

In xl2002+, there's an autorecover option that you can turn on.
Tools|Options|Save Tab (xl2003 menus)
You can specify how often and where to save this recovery file.

In xl2k and below, you can use the AutoSave addin. This saves the file every x
minutes (user selectable). (Tools|Addins to turn it on)

Autorecovery and autosave are different. Autosave overwrites the existing file,
whil autorecovery saves a different file in a different location. But if
excel/windows crash, then excel knows where to look to get the last version
saved.

But this autorecovery file isn't something that would help you. If you close
the workbook normally, then this file is deleted.

If you have the autosave addin from a previous version of excel (xl2k or
earlier), it'll work in newer versions.

And an alternative...

Another option would be to dump autosave and use Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
(works in any version) called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

--

Dave Peterson