Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 1st 07, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 5
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

I accidentally closed my excel file without saving it but I had automatic
recovery switched on. Is there any chance that it will be in a temporary
file. And if so, where would it be?

  #2   Report Post  
Old July 1st 07, 05:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,909
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

Not much chance.

If you close the file normally, the autorecovery temp file file is generally
deleted.

But check this out anyway.

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Look for a file similar to ~ar123.xar file with a recent time.

Change name to hopeful.xls and see if it opens and what's in it.

You might get lucky.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:16:01 -0700, Bronwyn
wrote:

I accidentally closed my excel file without saving it but I had automatic
recovery switched on. Is there any chance that it will be in a temporary
file. And if so, where would it be?


  #3   Report Post  
Old July 1st 07, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,218
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

If that file isn't deleted (I bet it was), then the next time the user opens
excel, excel will notice it and offer to open this recovered file.

It doesn't hurt to look for it manually, but excel should find it on its own,
too.

Gord Dibben wrote:

Not much chance.

If you close the file normally, the autorecovery temp file file is generally
deleted.

But check this out anyway.

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Look for a file similar to ~ar123.xar file with a recent time.

Change name to hopeful.xls and see if it opens and what's in it.

You might get lucky.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:16:01 -0700, Bronwyn
wrote:

I accidentally closed my excel file without saving it but I had automatic
recovery switched on. Is there any chance that it will be in a temporary
file. And if so, where would it be?


--

Dave Peterson
  #4   Report Post  
Old July 1st 07, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,909
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

Why would user be presented with a file to recover if the file was closed by
user and Excel did not crash?

Gord

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 06:52:01 -0500, Dave Peterson
wrote:

If that file isn't deleted (I bet it was), then the next time the user opens
excel, excel will notice it and offer to open this recovered file.


  #5   Report Post  
Old July 1st 07, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,218
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

I thought that excel would do its work based on whether there was a file by that
name in the autorecovery file. If the file wasn't deleted, then excel would see
it and offer to recover it.

But there must be other things at work. I put a couple of files in that folder
using that naming convention and xl didn't see them as files that should be
recovered.

Gord Dibben wrote:

Why would user be presented with a file to recover if the file was closed by
user and Excel did not crash?

Gord

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 06:52:01 -0500, Dave Peterson
wrote:

If that file isn't deleted (I bet it was), then the next time the user opens
excel, excel will notice it and offer to open this recovered file.


--

Dave Peterson


  #6   Report Post  
Old December 24th 08, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

I was able to recover a file, even after making an additional mistake. I did
see the file in auto recovery, but as a newbie to this feature, I did not
choose it properly. I no longer had the option to recover. Following the
thread, I copied the XAR file, changed the extension, and was able to get my
work back. Excel had not deleted the auto recovery file.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If that file isn't deleted (I bet it was), then the next time the user opens
excel, excel will notice it and offer to open this recovered file.

It doesn't hurt to look for it manually, but excel should find it on its own,
too.

Gord Dibben wrote:

Not much chance.

If you close the file normally, the autorecovery temp file file is generally
deleted.

But check this out anyway.

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Look for a file similar to ~ar123.xar file with a recent time.

Change name to hopeful.xls and see if it opens and what's in it.

You might get lucky.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:16:01 -0700, Bronwyn
wrote:

I accidentally closed my excel file without saving it but I had automatic
recovery switched on. Is there any chance that it will be in a temporary
file. And if so, where would it be?


--

Dave Peterson

  #7   Report Post  
Old December 24th 08, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,218
Default Accidentally closed file without saving

Glad it worked for you.

But I wouldn't depend on the .xar file being there when/if you need it.

Andrew S wrote:

I was able to recover a file, even after making an additional mistake. I did
see the file in auto recovery, but as a newbie to this feature, I did not
choose it properly. I no longer had the option to recover. Following the
thread, I copied the XAR file, changed the extension, and was able to get my
work back. Excel had not deleted the auto recovery file.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If that file isn't deleted (I bet it was), then the next time the user opens
excel, excel will notice it and offer to open this recovered file.

It doesn't hurt to look for it manually, but excel should find it on its own,
too.

Gord Dibben wrote:

Not much chance.

If you close the file normally, the autorecovery temp file file is generally
deleted.

But check this out anyway.

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Look for a file similar to ~ar123.xar file with a recent time.

Change name to hopeful.xls and see if it opens and what's in it.

You might get lucky.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:16:01 -0700, Bronwyn
wrote:

I accidentally closed my excel file without saving it but I had automatic
recovery switched on. Is there any chance that it will be in a temporary
file. And if so, where would it be?


--

Dave Peterson


--

Dave Peterson


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I closed an excel file without saving, is there a way to recover? Nick C Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 October 11th 06 06:41 PM
I closed a file without saving it, can i recover the information? karen Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 17th 06 01:19 AM
Help - Closed excel doc with out saving it Sugan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 May 16th 06 01:00 PM
How to recover excel file that was closed without saving? JKhatavkar Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 October 4th 05 10:42 PM
How can I retrieve a file that was closed without saving? Digvid99 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 February 24th 05 09:59 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017