Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default updating cells when one is typed into

I have a worksheet that has columns for insurance companies and row for
different codes that we us. The problem is that I need to update several
rows in the same column and they are not all seen at the same time because it
is a large sheet. I need it to update the other cells no matter which cell is
typed into.
Here is a small version where you can see that there are 3 sections that
contain L1800 and I would like the two others to be updated with the correct
value. Some times the first L1800 would be used and some time the 2nd or 3rd
would be used. Is this possible?
Cigna Benefit planners Medicare
L1800
_______
L1620
L1845
L1800
_______
L2830
L2785
L2795
L1800
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why dont you try Find and Replace.....

Another alternative
--Select the column. Hit Ctrl+F
--In Find window find: L1800 and hit Find All.
--From the displayed Find All list select all
--This will select all the cells with L1800.
--Now hit F2 will put you in edit mode for one cell . Change that to L1900
--Dont just enter. Keeping the selection Press Ctrl+Enter will change all
entries

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Mike W" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for such a prompt response but the problem is that I am not the one
who will be filling in the sheet. Also that the insurance companies all have
a different rate of pay so just to say find all and replace is not an option.
I can still do it the way you suggest but just wanted to streamline the
operation.

"Mike W" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your posting is very clear. Jacob didn't realized that yo had two coluns.
One with the code and then 2nd with a value. You were changing the value and
wanted all other values associated with the same code to also change.

You would need a macro. There are a few different types that wuld work

1) A work_sheet change macro when yo changed the columns with the values
that all other values i the same two column with the same code would change.

2) Buld a custom edit form with two boxes similar to the Replace function on
the worksheet. One box would be the code and the other boxes would contain
the new value for the code. The form could have the same button as replace
to give you the option of finding each code and replace one value or all
values.