Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cells change color when another cell is activated or typed with an

I figured part of this out under conditional formating. I have Excel 2003,
but when I highlight the cells with data I want to turn color, including the
cell I will place an "X" they don't change color. I can only get the cell
that I was in before I performed the "Conditional Formating" to turn color
when I placed an "X" in it. How do I get other cells to change color that
has data.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming you want your formatting based on external cells you need to use
Formula Is instead of Cell Value Is

=$A$1 = "X"

will apply the format to any cell you want when Cell A1 has an X in it. By
using different combinations of absolute and relative referencing you should
be able to do what you want with minimal of effort.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Geauxfish" wrote:

I figured part of this out under conditional formating. I have Excel 2003,
but when I highlight the cells with data I want to turn color, including the
cell I will place an "X" they don't change color. I can only get the cell
that I was in before I performed the "Conditional Formating" to turn color
when I placed an "X" in it. How do I get other cells to change color that
has data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure you have no absolute referencing happening.

i.e. =A1="x"

NOT =$A$1="x"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:01:03 -0700, Geauxfish
wrote:

I figured part of this out under conditional formating. I have Excel 2003,
but when I highlight the cells with data I want to turn color, including the
cell I will place an "X" they don't change color. I can only get the cell
that I was in before I performed the "Conditional Formating" to turn color
when I placed an "X" in it. How do I get other cells to change color that
has data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cells change color when another cell is activated or typed wit

Thanks Jim, that certainly helped me figure out.
I just put the row # like this...=$A$12 = "X"
It turns on the ones I highlighted before I implement the Conditional Format.
btw, what does the $ represent?

"Geauxfish" wrote:

I figured part of this out under conditional formating. I have Excel 2003,
but when I highlight the cells with data I want to turn color, including the
cell I will place an "X" they don't change color. I can only get the cell
that I was in before I performed the "Conditional Formating" to turn color
when I placed an "X" in it. How do I get other cells to change color that
has data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found one problem...
I highlight A7, I7-V7 then conditional format with =$A$7 = "X" and it
highlights purple perfectly when an X is placed in cell A7, but I need to
apply the another condition on the same line this way B7, I7-V7 and apply
condition with =$B$7 = "X" to highlight green if cell B7 has an "X". I have
to perform the same condition on line 7 for C7, D7, E7, F7 and G7 with
different colors if an "X" is placed in either one of those cells. If I
apply another condition to B7, it erases or ignores the condition I placed
earlier on A7. Is there an answer?

"Geauxfish" wrote:

I figured part of this out under conditional formating. I have Excel 2003,
but when I highlight the cells with data I want to turn color, including the
cell I will place an "X" they don't change color. I can only get the cell
that I was in before I performed the "Conditional Formating" to turn color
when I placed an "X" in it. How do I get other cells to change color that
has data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried that Gord, but it only highlighted cell I7 (using row 7), need all
cells I choose prior to condition. Whereas, Jims did what I needed but still
have an issue, see my second response.