Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding 2 or more words in excel

I have 4000 rows and I want to find 4 or 5 words in the spreadsheet. I don't
want to look them up one at a time I would like to look them up all at once
so how do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not enough detail but, for only one instance use a FIND macro for more use
FINDNEXT.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"golden" wrote in message
I have 4000 rows and I want to find 4 or 5 words in the spreadsheet. I
don't
want to look them up one at a time I would like to look them up all at
once
so how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Perhaps autofilter on a helper col will be potent enough?
Assume source data in A2 down
Assume your list of words to find is in F2:F5 ie: dog, cat, house, car
Put in B2: =COUNTIF($F$2:$F$5,A2)
Copy down to last row of source data. Col B returns 1 where the source word
in col A is found in your list. Autofilter on col B, choose: 1. You got it.
Aha? Hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"golden" wrote:
Find: dog, cat, house, car,
How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Max but I have a bad habit of not explaining myself, sorry.
I have a worksheet and I'm trying to find word, computer, excel, work,
house, yard, study and I'm trying to make a graph of the hours I have spent
in each item so I can figure out my study habits and this is for the last
year. So I need to find about a half a dozen word in about 400 rows. I want
to put in all the words so I only have to go throw the spreadsheet once. I
don't know the how. I tried, commas, colons and a lot more but just don't
know and the help on office 2007 is not very good or I just don't know how to
use it. Could you help me please.
Thank you

"Max" wrote:

Perhaps autofilter on a helper col will be potent enough?
Assume source data in A2 down
Assume your list of words to find is in F2:F5 ie: dog, cat, house, car
Put in B2: =COUNTIF($F$2:$F$5,A2)
Copy down to last row of source data. Col B returns 1 where the source word
in col A is found in your list. Autofilter on col B, choose: 1. You got it.
Aha? Hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70
xdemechanik
---
"golden" wrote:
Find: dog, cat, house, car,
How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

No further thoughts to offer, sorry.
Maybe other responders do.
--
"golden" wrote in message
Thank you Max but I have a bad habit of not explaining myself, sorry.
I have a worksheet and I'm trying to find word, computer, excel, work,
house, yard, study and I'm trying to make a graph of the hours I have
spent
in each item so I can figure out my study habits and this is for the last
year. So I need to find about a half a dozen word in about 400 rows. I
want
to put in all the words so I only have to go throw the spreadsheet once. I
don't know the how. I tried, commas, colons and a lot more but just don't
know and the help on office 2007 is not very good or I just don't know how
use it. Could you help me please.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This may not be the type of help you desire,
but Excel can only find one piece of text at a time so...

My commercial Excel add-in "XL Companion" has a Find and List
feature that will find and list the location of multiple items.
It generates a new sheet with a copy of the found row including the
sheet name it was found on and the row number.
It can do up to 255 characters at a time...
sludge;slop;slippery;slick and so on, as one entry.
Free 3 week trial, just email and ask for it.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"golden"

"Max" wrote:

Perhaps autofilter on a helper col will be potent enough?
Assume source data in A2 down
Assume your list of words to find is in F2:F5 ie: dog, cat, house, car
Put in B2: =COUNTIF($F$2:$F$5,A2)
Copy down to last row of source data. Col B returns 1 where the source word
in col A is found in your list. Autofilter on col B, choose: 1. You got it.
Aha? Hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70
xdemechanik
---
"golden" wrote:
Find: dog, cat, house, car,
How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and
a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Max" wrote:

Perhaps autofilter on a helper col will be potent enough?
Assume source data in A2 down
Assume your list of words to find is in F2:F5 ie: dog, cat, house, car
Put in B2: =COUNTIF($F$2:$F$5,A2)
Copy down to last row of source data. Col B returns 1 where the source
word
in col A is found in your list. Autofilter on col B, choose: 1. You got
it.
Aha? Hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70
xdemechanik
---
"golden" wrote:
Find: dog, cat, house, car,