Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Printing matters

Hi!
I have made a chart that I want to print out in several copies for exemple 4
copies.
But instead of making one file and doing 4 copies Excel makes 4 files and 1
copy per file and send this to the printer. Is there any way to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When simply printing, Excel should not create any files.

How are you calling the print job?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 02:40:05 -0700, vito
wrote:

Hi!
I have made a chart that I want to print out in several copies for exemple 4
copies.
But instead of making one file and doing 4 copies Excel makes 4 files and 1
copy per file and send this to the printer. Is there any way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

vito wrote:
Hi!
I have made a chart that I want to print out in several copies for exemple 4
copies.
But instead of making one file and doing 4 copies Excel makes 4 files and 1
copy per file and send this to the printer. Is there any way to fix this?

"makes 4 files" ??? Printing from Excel should not make 4 files. What
are the files' names?

Is your chart on a separate worksheet?

In Excel Ctrl-P should call up the print dialog box where you can select
4 copies of your chart to print.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

vito wrote:
It actually not files but printingjobs. So instead of making one printingjob
with 4 copies Excel makes 4 printingjobs with one copy.

OK, but do you get four charts printed out? If so, what is the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem is that it takes longer time to print out this way.
In Word for example when you print out it create one printing job and the
number of copies that you want. It's a much faster way.

"Bill Sharpe" skrev:

vito wrote:
It actually not files but printingjobs. So instead of making one printingjob
with 4 copies Excel makes 4 printingjobs with one copy.

OK, but do you get four charts printed out? If so, what is the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bill Sharpe" skrev:

vito wrote:
It actually not files but printingjobs. So instead of making one printingjob
with 4 copies Excel makes 4 printingjobs with one copy.

OK, but do you get four charts printed out? If so, what is the problem?

Graphics, which is what a chart is, generally take longer to print than
text.

If still a concern, Google for updated printer drivers for your brand of
printer.

If all else fails, just go have a cup of coffee while printing these
charts...

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm actually printing a lot more then just charts and this problem occurs
even if you only printing sheets. It has nothing to do with graphics.
Why does Excel produce diffrent printing jobs for each copy when I only want
one job with X number of copies?

"Bill Sharpe" skrev:

vito wrote:
It actually not files but printingjobs. So instead of making one printingjob
with 4 copies Excel makes 4 printingjobs with one copy.

OK, but do you get four charts printed out? If so, what is the problem?

Graphics, which is what a chart is, generally take longer to print than
text.

If still a concern, Google for updated printer drivers for your brand of
printer.

If all else fails, just go have a cup of coffee while printing these
charts...

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bill Sharpe" skrev:

vito wrote:
It actually not files but printingjobs. So instead of making one printingjob
with 4 copies Excel makes 4 printingjobs with one copy.

OK, but do you get four charts printed out? If so, what is the problem?

Graphics, which is what a chart is, generally take longer to print than
text.

If still a concern, Google for updated printer drivers for your brand of
printer.

If all else fails, just go have a cup of coffee while printing these
charts...

Bill

First you said you got extra files, not print jobs. First you said you
had a problem printing out a chart, now you have a problem also with sheets.
What printer are you using? Is it a network printer? Are the drivers up
to date?
You say it takes longer. How much extra time are we talking about here?
You should be able to print in the background and return control to your
computer to continue with other tasks while printing goes on.
I seldom print out more than one copy of an Excel file at a time so I
cannot tell you if this is the standard way Excel handles printouts. I
doubt it, though.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bill

Excel sends copies to the spooler as separate print jobs.

1 of 6, 2 of 6, 3 of 6 etc.

But is done very quickly.

Test using Ron de Bruin's code

http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#same

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Bill Sharpe" skrev:

vito wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben wrote:
Bill

Excel sends copies to the spooler as separate print jobs.

1 of 6, 2 of 6, 3 of 6 etc.

But is done very quickly.

Test using Ron de Bruin's code

http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#same

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

I seldom print out more than one copy of an Excel file at a time so I
cannot tell you if this is the standard way Excel handles printouts. I
doubt it, though.

Bill

Thanks, Gordon. I learned something new today. Now I can go back to bed...

Bill