Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change font color automatically

When I select the letter 'X' from a drop down list, I want it to
display it in red automatically. However, I don't want to have to
change the font color. Therefore, each time I enter this character---
the font will be shown in red. Anything else I choose from this list
will display in black (which of course is the default). Is there a
way to do this? Or, even if it is not from a drop down list, when I
enter a particular character in a cell--- I want it to show that
particular character in a specific color.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cell and go to Format|Conditional Formatting

apply: Cell Value is Equal to ="X"

click Format and choose font colour.

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.

NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=126004

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TGV TGV is offline

Using conditional formatting it can be done

1. Select the cell/Range
2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter =a1="x"
4. Click Format ButtonFontColor select 'red' then give ok

Change a1 to ur desired cell.

--
If this post helps, pls click Yes
---------------

"dcb1" wrote:

When I select the letter 'X' from a drop down list, I want it to
display it in red automatically. However, I don't want to have to
change the font color. Therefore, each time I enter this character---
the font will be shown in red. Anything else I choose from this list
will display in black (which of course is the default). Is there a
way to do this? Or, even if it is not from a drop down list, when I
enter a particular character in a cell--- I want it to show that
particular character in a specific color.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you don't want a lot of CF then right click sheet tabview codeinsert
this. Set to col E now.

If Target.Column < 5 Or Target.Count < 1 Then Exit Sub
Select Case LCase(Target)
Case "x": mc = 3
Case "y": mc = 5
Case Else
mc = 0
End Select
'Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Font.ColorIndex = mc
'Application.EnableEvents = True

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"dcb1" wrote in message
When I select the letter 'X' from a drop down list, I want it to
display it in red automatically. However, I don't want to have to
change the font color. Therefore, each time I enter this character---
the font will be shown in red. Anything else I choose from this list
will display in black (which of course is the default). Is there a
way to do this? Or, even if it is not from a drop down list, when I
enter a particular character in a cell--- I want it to show that
particular character in a specific color.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you very much for the help--- it worked.

"dcb1" wrote:
When I select the letter 'X' from a drop down list, I want it to
display it in red automatically. *However, I don't want to have to
change the font color. *Therefore, each time I enter this character---
the font will be shown in red. *Anything else I choose from this list
will display in black (which of course is the default). *Is there a
way to do this? *Or, even if it is not from a drop down list, when I
enter a particular character in a cell--- I want it to show that
particular character in a specific color.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried what you gave me; however, I wasn't successful (I was
uncertain on the first part where you said right click sheet tabview
code?) I have excel 2007 if that makes any difference. Anyhow, I
appreciate you taking the time to help me. I was able to use the
other solutions given. Thanks again. Also, I have another problem I
am trying to figure out. I will post it--- maybe you can help me.

"dcb1" wrote in message

When I select the letter 'X' from a drop down list, I want it to
display it in red automatically. *However, I don't want to have to
change the font color. *Therefore, each time I enter this character---
the font will be shown in red. *Anything else I choose from this list
will display in black (which of course is the default). *Is there a
way to do this? *Or, even if it is not from a drop down list, when I
enter a particular character in a cell--- I want it to show that
particular character in a specific color.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just tested using xl2007.
Right click sheet tabview codecopy/paste the macro. It will work for col
E.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel