Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell not expending automatically.

Probably an easy question, how can I make the cells expand automatically to
fit the text. I have Wrap Text on but the cell does not expand.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A cell never expands when text is added (only when numbers are added and the
width has not been preset)
Wrap Text does nothing until you use ALT+ENTER to make a line break
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Damian" wrote in message
Probably an easy question, how can I make the cells expand automatically
fit the text. I have Wrap Text on but the cell does not expand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well not the single cell but the whole row can right? I know I did it before.
When you type and its larger then the cell and you have wrap text it will
automatically expand the whole row to fit the text.

"Damian" wrote in message
Probably an easy question, how can I make the cells expand automatically
fit the text. I have Wrap Text on but the cell does not expand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

FormatRowAutofit.

Unless you have merged cells in the range.

In that case row autofit will not work and you must add event code to
autofit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Damian" wrote in message
Probably an easy question, how can I make the cells expand automatically
fit the text. I have Wrap Text on but the cell does not expand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more reason, among many, not to use merged cells.

For worksheet event code...............

See google search thread for code by Greg Wilson. Watch out for word wrap
in the URL which all one line.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c160cbeb27874

Gord

"Damian" wrote in message
Probably an easy question, how can I make the cells expand automatically
fit the text. I have Wrap Text on but the cell does not expand.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...isc/browse_frm...

"Damian" wrote in message
Probably an easy question, how can I make the cells expand automatically
fit the text. I have Wrap Text on but the cell does not expand.

Thanks

I tried inserting the code but had trouble with it - probably because
I've never used codes before. If anyone has tips for a beginner I
would greatly appreciate it. Also, I've used merged cells quite a bit
and discovered from this group that it's not the best thing to do. Why
is that and what are the alternatives? I just discovered this group so
thank you all in advance for taking time out to supply help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Merged cells cause no end of problems with copying, pasting, sorting,
filtering, row fitting(as you have discovered) and many other functions.

Center across selection is one alternative.

Merged cells have their place for presentation only but if you have to be
able to manipulate data they will cause you grief.

Where did you insert the code? It must be pasted into the sheet module as
described.

Your cells must be set to wrap text and rows set to autofit prior to adding
the code and entering data in merged cells.

Gord

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 03:30:02 -0700 (PDT), mrao wrote:

I tried inserting the code but had trouble with it - probably because
I've never used codes before. If anyone has tips for a beginner I
would greatly appreciate it. Also, I've used merged cells quite a bit
and discovered from this group that it's not the best thing to do. Why
is that and what are the alternatives? I just discovered this group so
thank you all in advance for taking time out to supply help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sep 1, 10:25*am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
[...]

thank you all in advance for taking time out to supply help.- Hide quoted text -

Gord,

I got it working. It took me some time because I never worked with
code before. Thanks so much for the help.