Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Chart and Data not working together?

I have an office application that logs how many times aspects of the program
is used. It logs the Users Name in one column, then the area of the program
in the next column. I for the life of me can not get an reasonable output
looking chart from this data. What i would love to see is a broken down list
for say user Tish from the data below, and have the chart log how many times
they used each aspect of the program. (i.e. In Out Log, Drafting Log,
Engineering Log, and so on.) That way i can show that user what areas of the
program they are using.

Here is some sample data to help. I have roughly 40,000 rows of data so any
help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

CAD In Out Log

BRANDON In Out Log

BRANDON In Out Log

JOSH In Out Log

CAD In Out Log

BRANDON In Out Log

ROGER Retrieve Job

Tish Drafting Log
Tish Drafting Log

MARK DOUGLAS Drafting Log

OWNER Drafting Log

OWNER In Out Log

JOHN In Out Log

Tish In Out Log

BRANDON Drafting Log

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you need to consolidate the data first, I would probably make
a list of one of each name (using Advanced Filter, Unique Values) and then
put the different activities as the column headings and create a table of
counts of each activity (you can do this using a sumproduct or array
formula). For the data you have shown, if it were in cells A1:B15 you could
set up the following table, say in cells E1:H9

Name In Out Log Retrieve Job Drafting Log
Mark
Cad
Brandon
Josh
Roger
Tish
Mark Douglas
Owner

You can use a formula like
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$15=$E2)*($B$2:$B$15=F$1))
to get the total counts (assuming the first formula is in cell F2 beside
'Mark'). If you plot a stacked column graph from this data you will see each
user's total number of uses and it will be broken down by type.

Andrea Jones
www.allaboutclait.com