Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Update chart with new row - not working in 007

I have a stacked area chart that I have been updating for years. The X
axis is date and I add a new date row weekly. In previous versions of
Excel, to update the chart each week I could simply select the new row
of data and then drag and drop it onto the chart.

That doesn't work with Excel 2007 (it copies or moves the selected
data). I also tried the 'Select Data' dialog, but it says "The data
range is too complex to be displayed. If a new range is selected it
will replace all of the series in the series panel." The chart date
range in that dialog is blank. (I use a simple rectangular range, but
it is pretty big (AZ x 508)).

So I don't see a way to add the new row of data into the existing chart.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Scott,

It is true that you can't drag data onto the chart anymore in 2007.
However, you can stil use the copy and paste command. Select the new data in
the spreadsheet and copy it. Right click on the chart and choose Paste.

An additional suggestion - if you predefine the data range as a Table
(Insert, Table) and then you build your chart from that, when you add a new
set of data to the table the chart will update automatically.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote:

I have a stacked area chart that I have been updating for years. The X
axis is date and I add a new date row weekly. In previous versions of
Excel, to update the chart each week I could simply select the new row
of data and then drag and drop it onto the chart.

That doesn't work with Excel 2007 (it copies or moves the selected
data). I also tried the 'Select Data' dialog, but it says "The data
range is too complex to be displayed. If a new range is selected it
will replace all of the series in the series panel." The chart date
range in that dialog is blank. (I use a simple rectangular range, but
it is pretty big (AZ x 508)).

So I don't see a way to add the new row of data into the existing chart.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

ShaneDevenshire wrote:
Hi Scott,

It is true that you can't drag data onto the chart anymore in 2007.
However, you can stil use the copy and paste command. Select the new data in
the spreadsheet and copy it. Right click on the chart and choose Paste.

An additional suggestion - if you predefine the data range as a Table
(Insert, Table) and then you build your chart from that, when you add a new
set of data to the table the chart will update automatically.

Thank you, Shane. The Paste new row didn't work right (the chart lost
the series names) but the Table approach did the trick.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Scott,

I prefer the Table/List method but just to try it, if the paste command
doesn't work the first way, try this - do the copy as before and then click
on the chart and choose the command Home, Paste, Paste Special. The dialog
box that appears will probably let you solve the problem.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire