Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Default Conditional formatting contains

I would like to be able to conditionally format data that is contained within
a cell even if there is other data in the cell.

For example:

A2 - East-NE-NO-ETC
A3 - East-NE-TP-Critical
A4 - East-SE-NO-Investment
A5 - East-SE-CM-Investment

Id like to be able to conditionally format all of the cells in Column A
that contain NE to be one color, and all that contain SE to be another
color.

Is that possible? How? Thanks in advance for any input!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1. Select the range

2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting

3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=FIND("-NE-",D1)
Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)

4. Click on Add button.

5. For Condition2Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=FIND("-SE-",D1)
Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Orange)

6. Hit OK

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Amy" wrote:

I would like to be able to conditionally format data that is contained within
a cell even if there is other data in the cell.

For example:

A2 - East-NE-NO-ETC
A3 - East-NE-TP-Critical
A4 - East-SE-NO-Investment
A5 - East-SE-CM-Investment

Id like to be able to conditionally format all of the cells in Column A
that contain NE to be one color, and all that contain SE to be another
color.

Is that possible? How? Thanks in advance for any input!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With your data in Col A

1st condition
=FIND("-NE-",A1)

2nd condition
=FIND("-SE-",A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Amy" wrote:

I would like to be able to conditionally format data that is contained within
a cell even if there is other data in the cell.

For example:

A2 - East-NE-NO-ETC
A3 - East-NE-TP-Critical
A4 - East-SE-NO-Investment
A5 - East-SE-CM-Investment

Id like to be able to conditionally format all of the cells in Column A
that contain NE to be one color, and all that contain SE to be another
color.

Is that possible? How? Thanks in advance for any input!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Jacob,

Thanks for the response!

This works if I'm only formatting a single cell (i.e. Formula is
=FIND("-NE-",A2) will format cell A2.)

However, I can't get it to work for an entire column. Even if I select the
column and change the formula to =FIND("-NE-",A:A) it is ineffectual. I
adjusted the formula several ways with no success.

Any ideas for getting the same concept to work on a column of data?

"Amy" wrote:

I would like to be able to conditionally format data that is contained within
a cell even if there is other data in the cell.

For example:

A2 - East-NE-NO-ETC
A3 - East-NE-TP-Critical
A4 - East-SE-NO-Investment
A5 - East-SE-CM-Investment

Id like to be able to conditionally format all of the cells in Column A
that contain NE to be one color, and all that contain SE to be another
color.

Is that possible? How? Thanks in advance for any input!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

I'm an idiot. Thanks!

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

With your data in Col A

1st condition
=FIND("-NE-",A1)

2nd condition
=FIND("-SE-",A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Amy" wrote:

I would like to be able to conditionally format data that is contained within
a cell even if there is other data in the cell.

For example:

A2 - East-NE-NO-ETC
A3 - East-NE-TP-Critical
A4 - East-SE-NO-Investment
A5 - East-SE-CM-Investment

Id like to be able to conditionally format all of the cells in Column A
that contain NE to be one color, and all that contain SE to be another
color.

Is that possible? How? Thanks in advance for any input!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't adjust the formula. Select your whole column, and then if A2 is the
active cell use your =FIND("-NE-",A2) as the CF formula.
When you look in A3, you will see that the formula is =FIND("-NE-",A3), and
so on.

An alternative is to format the first cell, then use either format painter
or Copy and Edit/Paste Special/ Formats to copy the format down the rest of
the column.
--
David Biddulph