Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Counting Alpha entries

I use an Excel spreadsheet to track and add up time used on various
activities, one sheet pet group, I can add up the number stuff OK but
I need to count the number of occurances of type of transaction eg
Meeting = MET and Telephone conversation + TEL, to produce an itemised
summary, I need to know how many meetings or Tel Conversations etc,
the list of codes, 12 in all can sometimes be hundreds long but they
are all in one column, so I need 12 boxes to say how many of each type
of code.
Thanks in anticipation

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
suppose that your list is in column A and the 12 codes are in column B
starting cell B2 in C2 enter

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2=$A$1:$A$1000))

change the range to fit your needs