Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Default Help separating letters from numbers

Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I cant figure out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters, such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The problem is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them end in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I cant seem to
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Just scrolling through quickly that seems to be the case, although it's not
my file so I suppose there might be a few exceptions. It's just such a huge
file that it's hard to tell.

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I can't figure out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters,
such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The problem
is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them end
in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things
but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I can't seem
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I presume you mean if there is a single letter on the r/h end, chop it off.

=IF(ISNUMBER(--RIGHT(A1,1)),A1,LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

If not one of the following may help:

http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ExtractNum.htm

--
Steve

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I cant figure out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters,
such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The problem
is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them end
in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things
but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I cant seem
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this formula:
It will remove everything to the right of the rightmost digit.
(Your examples only show 0 or 1 letters to be removed, but as you
could not say for sure that there is never more than 1 letter this
formula takes care of that case as well)

=LEFT(A1,MAX(ISNUMBER(0+MID(A1,ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,LEN (A1))),1))*ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,LEN(A1)))))

Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I can't figure out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters,
such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The problem
is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them end
in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things
but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I can't seem
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Hi, Lars, thanks for your response. Your formula worked great for the first
14 rows of the spreadsheet, but then it just yielded blank cells. Is there a
way to modify the formula so it will work all the way down the column?

Thanks in advance for any information.

"Lars-Ã…ke Aspelin" wrote:

Try this formula:
It will remove everything to the right of the rightmost digit.
(Your examples only show 0 or 1 letters to be removed, but as you
could not say for sure that there is never more than 1 letter this
formula takes care of that case as well)

=LEFT(A1,MAX(ISNUMBER(0+MID(A1,ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,LEN (A1))),1))*ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,LEN(A1)))))

Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Hope this helps / Lars-Ã…ke

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I can't figure out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters,
such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The problem
is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them end
in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things
but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I can't seem
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ooops, my mistake. There should be $ in two places.
Please try this modified formuila:

=LEFT(A1,MAX(ISNUMBER(0+MID(A1,ROW(OFFSET(A$1,,,LE N(A1))),1))*ROW(OFFSET(A$1,,,LEN(A1)))))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I can't figure out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters,
such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The problem
is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them end
in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things
but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I can't seem
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Hi, Lars, thanks for your response. I tried your revised formula and it
works great. :) Thanks again!