Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Help separating letters from numbers

Try this for a single alpha:

=IF(ISERR(--RIGHT(A1)),LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),A1)
--
HTH,

RD

"FJ" wrote in message
Just scrolling through quickly that seems to be the case, although it's
not
my file so I suppose there might be a few exceptions. It's just such a
huge
file that it's hard to tell.

"RagDyer" wrote:

Your example shows only a *single* alpha at the end of an entry.

Is that *always* the case?

RD

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have what is probably a very simple problem but I can't figure
out a
quick solution. I have thousands of rows of mixed numbers and letters,
such
as:

ABC000825A
DEF0125B
AB9037563
DE075782989F
EFC2987899

And I have to delete the letters from the end of each entry. The
problem
is
that not every entry has the same number of digits and not all of them
end
in
letters. Is there a quick way to do this? I have tried various things
but
so far nothing as worked. I know this is probably easy but I can't
seem
figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.