Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel formula to test a value BETWEEN 2 values?

Is there a quick formula to test whether a value falls between 2 values? I
want to use the formula in another formula, such as 'sumif' the values that
fall between a range of 2 values.
Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Romi wrote:
Is there a quick formula to test whether a value falls between 2
values? I want to use the formula in another formula, such as
'sumif' the values that fall between a range of 2 values.
Thanks for your help.

Hi Romi,

If your number you want to test and sum are, for example, in the range
A3:A20 and you want to sum all the numbers greater than 15 and lesser than
20, to make your test you can write in B3 the following formula:

=IF(A3<20,IF(A315,1,),)

and then copy until B20. In this way your SUMIF will be:

=SUMIF(B3:B20,1,A3:A20)

But, instead of this two step procedure, you can use directly a formula with
the SUMPRODUCT function:

=SUMPRODUCT((A3:A2015)*(A3:A20<20)*A3:A20)

Finally, if you want to put the number for the test outside of the formula,
say in C2 and C3 (with C3C2), you can use the following:

=SUMPRODUCT((A3:A20C2)*(A3:A20<C3)*A3:A20)

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Franz,
Thanks so much for such quick reply.
I never knew about 'SUMPRODUCT' function, so you were quite helpful.

For my current particular issue, though, the values I'm trying to test are
dates (eg data whose date, in column B, falls within the range '01/01/2009
thru 06/30/2009'), while the corresponding values I want to sum are in
another column. So I'll have to test out your example to see, as I'm not yet
comfortable enough with SUMPRODUCT and not very good with date formulas.

Thanks again!
Romi

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Romi wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Romi,

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have dates in column B, for example from B3 to B20, and the
corresponding number to sum in column A (A3:A20) and you have your smallest
date (for example 01/01/2009) in G1 and the biggest (for example 06/30/2009)
in H1the formula becomes:

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:B20G1)*(B3:B20<H1)*A3:A20)

--

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Romi wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank-you, Franz.
Your suggestion works well.

Is there a way to get it to work without having to first sort the data
records by date order so the formula need not point to a specific cell? I
tried putting the and < date designations within double-quotes like I would
if using SUMIF function, but it didn't work in the SUMPRODUCT function.

Romi

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Romi wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HiRomi,

First: the formula works roperly without any sorting;

Second: if you want to insert directly in the formula the lower and upper
dates, you can use this version:

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:B20VALUE("01/01/2009"))*(B3:B20<VALUE("06/30/2009"))*A3:A20)

but I would suggest to use the previous version, because it is always better
to have outside of formulas any kind of values: in this way it is much more
easier to change the limits and to check what the formula is doing, without
looking inside the formula.

--

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Romi wrote:
[...]