Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF Formula that results in Protection????

Hi,
I was wondering if there was a way to write an IF formula that results
a range of cells to be protected? In other words, if A1 = 500, then
B1:B10 would be protected? I also heard there may be a way to format a
cell to where you could have a formula in, yet still be able to key
punch in it, without having to erase the formula in the cell. This too
would satisfy my needs. Any truth to it? If someone could answer
either of my inquiries, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry but No.
A formula can do one thing and one thing only: it can return a value
If you have a formula in a cell and you type something else in that cell and
press Enter then the formula has gone.

To get this to work: "if A1 = 500, then B1:B10 would be protected" you would
need to use VBA code
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"John Sofillas" wrote in message
I was wondering if there was a way to write an IF formula that results
a range of cells to be protected? In other words, if A1 = 500, then
B1:B10 would be protected? I also heard there may be a way to format a
cell to where you could have a formula in, yet still be able to key
punch in it, without having to erase the formula in the cell. This too
would satisfy my needs. Any truth to it? If someone could answer
either of my inquiries, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jul 28, 8:34*am, "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
[...]

either of my inquiries, I would appreciate it. Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

I was affraid of this. What is VBA code?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

VBA: Visual Basic for Applications

David McRitchie's site on "getting started" with VBA

Debra Dalgleish's "Adding Code to a Workbook"

http://www.contextures.com:80/xlvba01.html

Search Google with: Excel VBA Tutorial

best wishes
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

While you can not protect the cells with a formula you could use custom data
validation to make inputs invalid in cells B1:B10 meaning that they are
protected from change.

Select the Range B1:B10
Click Data - Validation... -Custom
=$A$1<500
Uncheck Ignore Blanks
You can change the error alert.
Click OK

If 500 is entered in Cell A1 then B1:B10 can not be modified.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"John Sofillas" wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering if there was a way to write an IF formula that results
a range of cells to be protected? In other words, if A1 = 500, then
B1:B10 would be protected? I also heard there may be a way to format a
cell to where you could have a formula in, yet still be able to key
punch in it, without having to erase the formula in the cell. This too
would satisfy my needs. Any truth to it? If someone could answer
either of my inquiries, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"John Sofillas" wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering if there was a way to write an IF formula that results
a range of cells to be protected? In other words, if A1 = 500, then
B1:B10 would be protected? I also heard there may be a way to format a
cell to where you could have a formula in, yet still be able to key
punch in it, without having to erase the formula in the cell. This too
would satisfy my needs. Any truth to it? If someone could answer
either of my inquiries, I would appreciate it. Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

THANK YOU!! This is exactly the info I was looking for. However, I am
still able to overwrite the fields in the range. Here is exactly what
I need to do/what I did. Please advise where I messed up. Thanks!

Selected Range
Clicked Data - Validation... -Custom
Formula =$M$11<=$M$14
Unchecked Ignore Blanks
Checked apply these changes to all other cells
Typed in my message and subject
Did nothing to Error Alert tab

???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not knowing exactly what your criteria is it is hard to comment. Note that in
order to allow entry your formula must evaluate to false. When it evaluates
to true then the entry is not valid. M11 and M14 need to be of the same data
type. That should work. If you are still having difficulty then do some
testing with the formulas by hard coding in numbers to see how it works...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"John Sofillas" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"John Sofillas" wrote:
[...]

OK, I understand now. It all drives from the 1st source being false. I
am to get this to work now. It works just about as close to what I am
shooting for. Only thing it is missing is you are able to hit the
delete button to remove the formula in it. Other than hitting delete,
you are not able to enter any data into the range of cells. Does this
sound about right? No way of getting around helping someone
"accidentally" hitting the delete key? Thanks for you support!