Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Fill as you Type

it is possible to have the look up fill as you type instead of just have to
scroll through, i have over 5000 items in a lookup tab and it takes for
every. OR are there any other sugguestions on hpow to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to tell us what you are doing. What lookup? What's a lookup tab?
Why can't you use any of the search capabilities of Excel like others do?

Regards,
Fred

"Scott Eslick" wrote in message
it is possible to have the look up fill as you type instead of just have
scroll through, i have over 5000 items in a lookup tab and it takes for
every. OR are there any other sugguestions on hpow to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok..I have a sheet with over 5000 items with prices on it, i would like to do
a lookup and fill but i would like to be able to have an autocomplete deal so
I do do not have to scroll to find the item, then it will have a total at the
bottom, that is easy, I just can't find how to do the autocomplete as i tyoe
the item.

Thanks

"Fred Smith" wrote:

You need to tell us what you are doing. What lookup? What's a lookup tab?
Why can't you use any of the search capabilities of Excel like others do?

Regards,
Fred

"Scott Eslick" wrote in message
it is possible to have the look up fill as you type instead of just have
scroll through, i have over 5000 items in a lookup tab and it takes for
every. OR are there any other sugguestions on hpow to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So are you using Data, Validation? It's not clear what you mean when you say
scroll. For example, suppose I am sitting in cell A1 of sheet2 and there is
a list in column A of Sheet1. You start to type - how does Excel know where
you would like to pull the data from? There are 256*65536 cell on a single
sheet and technically you could have thousands of sheets. And that is 2003,
in 2007 it is 16384*10482576 cells!

With Data, Validation there is no autofill or autocomplete. You might write
a macro to do this. On the other hand depending on what you are trying to do
you could use a VLOOKUP function to populate based on some entered data.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Fred Smith" wrote:

You need to tell us what you are doing. What lookup? What's a lookup tab?
Why can't you use any of the search capabilities of Excel like others do?

Regards,
Fred

"Scott Eslick" wrote in message
it is possible to have the look up fill as you type instead of just have
scroll through, i have over 5000 items in a lookup tab and it takes for
every. OR are there any other sugguestions on hpow to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All the data is in one sheet, it is a list of 5000 items and their price, i
am trying to come up with an "estimating" sheet pulled from the "pricing"
sheet using one of the look up functions and with that many items I would
like to start typing say in a list box and it does an auto complete and then
finds the price for that item

"Fred Smith" wrote:

You need to tell us what you are doing. What lookup? What's a lookup tab?
Why can't you use any of the search capabilities of Excel like others do?

Regards,
Fred

"Scott Eslick" wrote in message
it is possible to have the look up fill as you type instead of just have
scroll through, i have over 5000 items in a lookup tab and it takes for
every. OR are there any other sugguestions on hpow to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're going to need a macro, and it won't be a simple one. Basically, you
will need to capture each character entered, then do a search or vloolup
based on a partial match. Then, if the user hits enter, you'll need to
remember which option you suggested.

My main concern would be whether you can do this fast enough to avoid
confusing your users.

I think your request is a tall order.

"Fred Smith" wrote:

You need to tell us what you are doing. What lookup? What's a lookup
tab?
Why can't you use any of the search capabilities of Excel like others
do?

Regards,
Fred

"Scott Eslick" wrote in
message
it is possible to have the look up fill as you type instead of just
have
scroll through, i have over 5000 items in a lookup tab and it takes
for
every. OR are there any other sugguestions on hpow to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Allen Browne's FindAsUType routine. http://allenbrowne.com/

This routine is written for an Access database - but it is in VBA and can
probably be modified for Excel