Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup?

I am trying to create a summary table where when the user enters in a
criteria, the formula will look up the criteria, the year and name, and
return the value from another worksheet.

Criteria = A

Year1 Year 2 Year 3 etc
Name1
Name 2
Name 3
etc

Would I use the vlookup formula for something like this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want the criteria to be a both the year and the name? is the year
a worksheet name? what value from what sheet are you wanting to return?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm trying to create a table where if the user enters in a criteria, say "A",
the table would automatically populate with a $ based on information from
another worksheet.

The year 1, year 2 etc, and the name1, name 2 etc will never change. Only
the criteria will change.

Am I making any sense here?

Confused;429328 Wrote:
I am trying to create a summary table where when the user enters in a
criteria, the formula will look up the criteria, the year and name, and
return the value from another worksheet.

Criteria = A

Year1 Year 2 Year 3 etc
Name1
Name 2
Name 3
etc

Would I use the vlookup formula for something like this?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That doesn't help wee need more details on what you want to do and how!

Confused;429328 Wrote:
I am trying to create a summary table where when the user enters in

criteria, the formula will look up the criteria, the year and name,

and
return the value from another worksheet.

Criteria = A

Year1 Year 2 Year 3 etc
Name1
Name 2
Name 3
etc

Would I use the vlookup formula for something like this?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage - Microsoft Office Help - Microsoft

Office Discussion' (http://www.thecodecage.com))

Simon Lloyd's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon

Lloyd' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1)
View this thread: 'Vlookup? - The Code Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For further help with it why not join our forums (shown in the link
below) it's completely free, if you do join you will have the
opportunity to add attachments to your posts so you can add workbooks to
better illustrate your problems and get help directly with them. Also if
you do join please post in this thread (link found below) so that people
who have been following or helping with this query can continue to do
so. :)

Confused;429328 Wrote:
[...]

Lloyd' ('The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon Lloyd'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh....php?t=119295))

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'The Code Cage' ('http://www.thecodecage.com'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/))

Simon Lloyd's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon

Lloyd' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1)
View this thread: 'Vlookup? - The Code Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See attached for file. Here is an explanation of what I am trying to
do. In the "Amt by Year" tab, the user can select the criteria in cells
B3:B5 which contains a drop down list.
For example, the user selects Class = “A1”, Start Date = “5/28/09”, End
Date= “7/22/09”.

Given the three criterias above, I would like to populate the table
(see attached) using the “Data” tab information.

So in the table, cells A10:A17 are the names, and cells B8:AN8 are the
years, these will not change. I need excel to look up the Amount based
on the names and years that contains Class “A1”, “5/28/09” and
“7/22/09”, and populate the table accordingly.

I manually populated the table for you as to what the end result should
be.
Can a vlookup do something like this?

Thanks for your help

Simon Lloyd;431623 Wrote:
For further help with it why not join our forums (shown in the link
below) it's completely free, if you do join you will have the
opportunity to add attachments to your posts so you can add workbooks to
better illustrate your problems and get help directly with them. Also if
you do join please post in this thread (link found below) so that people
who have been following or helping with this query can continue to do
so. :)

|Filename: Example.xls |
|Download: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/attachment.php?attachmentid=196|

confused
confused's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=572
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry but it doesn't seem to make sense, you have used the criteria that
you have explained but the section for 2009 is not populated?, what did
you populate manually for the given dates?

confused;432004 Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Simon Lloyd;432098 Wrote:
Sorry but it doesn't seem to make sense, you have used the criteria that
you have explained but the section for 2009 is not populated?, what did
you populate manually for the given dates?

In fact you have 33 values in your table but the criteria you want to
use would only produce 14 results?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I forgot to specify that I need to look up the minimum, maximum and
average for each name and year, so the "Data" sheet shows 14 results but
since I am looking for the minimum, maximum and average for each name
and year, it is 33. The reason why 2009 is not populated is because if
you filter the "Data" tab, by A1, and date, the column D "year" does not
show 2009. I populated manually the table in the "Amt by Year" tab.

Simon Lloyd;432104 Wrote:
In fact you have 33 values in your table but the criteria you want to
use would only produce 14 results?

--
confused
confused's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=572
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=119295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

confused;432135 Wrote:
I forgot to specify that I need to look up the minimum, maximum and
average for each name and year, so the "Data" sheet shows 14 results but
since I am looking for the minimum, maximum and average for each name
and year, it is 33. The reason why 2009 is not populated is because if
you filter the "Data" tab, by A1, and date, the column D "year" does not
show 2009. I populated manually the table in the "Amt by Year" tab.You're not going to manage what you want with formulae, it's going to

have to be VBA, i won't have time to look at that right now, i will have
a look tomorrow though.