Toney

Default Don't sort top two rows?

Hi all,

Is there a way to automatically exclude the top two rows from a sort? I
realize we could simple highlight the other rows but this file has alot of
columns and it's kind of a pain to make sure we have the everything but the
top two rows selected.

Thanks

Toney

Hi
You could insert a blank, hidden row underneath row 2. This would make Excel
assume that the extent of your data is row 4 downwards. When you sort,
however, you will have to use column names (A, B etc) rather than what is in
the top row. Some people posting on this site always advocate manually
selecting data for sorting anyway. Then Excel can't guess and get it wrong!

--
Andy.

"Toney" wrote in message
Hi all,

Is there a way to automatically exclude the top two rows from a sort? I
realize we could simple highlight the other rows but this file has alot of
columns and it's kind of a pain to make sure we have the everything but
the
top two rows selected.

Thanks

Toney

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bod Bod is offline

Hi! I thought I'd posted a new thread but it doesn't seem to have appeared.
I see what you said about peolpe recommending selecting the data to be
sorted first.
I have been dealing with quite large blocks of cells,
If my memory is not playing tricks on me, I thought in XL 2003 I could
simlpy add a blank row above and below the range of rows I want to sort, and
put the cursor on a cell in the column I want to sort by.
In XL 2007, it just sorts the blank row to the bottom and combines the
separate sets of rows and sorts them as one set. It doesn't seem to do this
for the uppermost set of rows, but it does for those below.
You say to put a header rown above the set of rows you want to sort.
Does anyone know what Excel's logic is so I can make it do what I want
consistently?
Thanks in advance.