Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default remove duplicates but retain one not delete both

I have an excel 2007 list of names, addresses, phone numbers email
addresses etc and there are many duplicate records.
If I sort by postcode for example I can manually delete them but there
are several thousand records and it will be very time consuming.
If I use the excel duplicate delete function it removes BOTH records
instead of letting me keep one.
Additionally, I really need to delete the duplicate record which is
not as complete as the other duplicate.
For example if there are 2 duplicates and one contains email address
and the other does not, then the one WITHOUT the email should be
deleted.
How can I do this pls?
Some function like "search for duplicate records by postcode and
delete 1 record which CONTAINS NULL in row G " ...... something like
that
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
look into Cpearson web, go to the middle of the page

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm

if this helps please click yes, thanks

"davidS" wrote:

I have an excel 2007 list of names, addresses, phone numbers email
addresses etc and there are many duplicate records.
If I sort by postcode for example I can manually delete them but there
are several thousand records and it will be very time consuming.
If I use the excel duplicate delete function it removes BOTH records
instead of letting me keep one.
Additionally, I really need to delete the duplicate record which is
not as complete as the other duplicate.
For example if there are 2 duplicates and one contains email address
and the other does not, then the one WITHOUT the email should be
deleted.
How can I do this pls?
Some function like "search for duplicate records by postcode and
delete 1 record which CONTAINS NULL in row G " ...... something like
that

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2007 Tables
Remove Duplicates.
Account for blanks.
No code.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ojwi0nznzmy/07_23_09.xlsx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry but I have no idea what this means - I am too experienced with
Excel.