Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default retain value and delete format

Hello:
I would like to know how to retain the value thats in a cell but delete the
formatting of the cell. Below is a column of numbers that represent response
times (in seconds). I've used special paste to retain the values and reformat
the values to number or general (under formatting), but to no avail. I want
to see what response times exceed our 8min 59sec (or 539 seconds). To do this
I wrote a logic statement, in a seperate column, to mark those times that
meet and/or exceed our response times. The logic statement is IF(A2<=539,
1(true), 2(false)). when I copy the formula down the column all I get is
1(true); even for the values that are obviously false. Not to be out done, in
a seperate column I typed in a few of the values and tried my logic statement
again and it work. I have over 50,000 lines of data and I can't type all the
values in. What else can I do to retain the number value in a cell and yet
delete the formatting of the cell. Again I've tried special paste. This is
what my column of values look like:

Response time(sec)
245
476
345
39
244
139
162
355
311
155
368
266
898
209

Thank in advance for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Solomon.

Put a 1 in a cell and copy it. Select all your values and then

Edit|Paste Special
select multiply and click ok and then see if your formula work.

Mike

"Solomon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Mike:
I don't quite understand what U mean by UR reply. Do U mean copy a column of
1's in a column next to the values, then try to special paste, and then try
the logic statement?

"Solomon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No,

Put a 1 in any old cell and then copy the one with right click and copy.

then select your column of data and then

edit|Paste special

click multiply

click ok

delete the one from the cell.

Mike

"Solomon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's start over.

Where did this data come from? Why is there a formatting issue? Check
carefully, are there any Spaces after the numbers in those cells?

Have you tried this:
Edit menu:Clear:Formats
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Instead of your:
=IF(A2<=539, 1, 2)

Try either of these slight revisions, copied down:
=IF(A2+0<=539, 1, 2)
=IF(A2*1<=539, 1, 2)

The "+0" or "*1" will coerce text numbers (if any) in col A
to real numbers for correct computation/evaluation
--
Max
Singapore