Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Shorten list into several columns

Microsoft Office 2007 (Excel Spreadsheet) I have a running list of 367 names,
but would like to have them listed in several columns so that the list isn't
as long.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy and paste if a one-off operation.

Using formulas...........

In B1 enter this =INDEX($A:$A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*6+COLUMNS($A:B)-1)

Copy across to G1

Copy B1:G1 down untill you get zeros.

Or use a macro.

Public Sub SplitToCols()
Dim NumCols As Integer
Dim I As Integer
Dim colsize As Long
On Error GoTo fileerror

NumCols = InputBox("Choose Final Number of Columns")
colsize = Int((ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count + _
(NumCols - 1)) / NumCols)
For I = 2 To NumCols
Cells((I - 1) * colsize + 1, 1).Resize(colsize, 1).Copy Cells(1, I)
Next I
Range(Cells(colsize + 1, 1), Cells(Rows.Count, 1)).Clear
fileerror:
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:34:01 -0700, Kathy's List <Kathy's
wrote:

Microsoft Office 2007 (Excel Spreadsheet) I have a running list of 367 names,
but would like to have them listed in several columns so that the list isn't
as long.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that the easiest thing to do is to copy the entire list into MSWord.

Then use the formatting built into MSWord to print it nicely. You can have
multiple columns if you want.

MSWord also allows you to sort your list so may decide to keep it there.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Care to show us before/after layout