Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CMD CMD is offline

Default pivot table chart

Hi
I have a pivot table that I am using to make a pivot table chart. here is
what i would like to do.

Lets say that i am analyzing blood glucose levels in patients. I have 100
patients who have had their glucose measured. I am using the pivot table to
look at average glucose level and I am using different page fields to look at
different cuts of the data...so I have in their gender, age group, race, etc.

here is where the question comes...i would like to make a chart but in
addition to glucose levels for the patients, i would like the chart to show a
separate bar graph showing the normal range for glucose. so this normal
range is a CONSTANT. Regardless of how i manipulate the page fields, i want
the same constant normal range always appears to the right of the data. This
allows for the user to get a visual of how each cut of data compares to the
constant normal range.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Add a calculated field to your PivotTable, using a constant for the formula
such as
=20.5
You can then add the field to your PivotChart.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"CMD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CMD CMD is offline

Thanks, Luke.

I think what you are saying is add a column called "constant". do i then
have to enter the constant (=20.5) for every row in the pivot table?

Chris

"CMD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not quite. Open the PivotTable toolbar, click on PivotTable, go down to
calculated field. This is where you would normally do something like:
=Qty*Price
(Qty & Price being field names)
In your case, simply type the constant formula.

However, if this doesn't work,y our idea should as well, to simply add a row
to your entire data set.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"CMD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Actually that not what Luke is saying, but your intrepretation will work:

You can create a new column in the raw data area with 20.5 on all the rows.
Then you can add this to the pivot table as a second calculated field.

But what Luke was suggesting is that you choose the command PivotTable,
Formulas, Calculated Field, enter a name and on the Formula line type =20.5,
OK.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"CMD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope... Add a Calculated Field. How you do that depends on your version of
XL...
In 2002 or better on the pivot table menu select
Pivot Table... - Formula - Calculated Field
Add a calculated Field Called Normal and give it the formula =20.5
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"CMD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CMD CMD is offline

Ahhhh. Got it. Thanks, Luke. One last question....this is driving me
crazy!! I am looking at my pivot table chart. On the right i have my legend
labeled data. i know that i can easily add to this by dragging a field from
the pivot table list. what i cannot figure out is how to remove individual
fields from this. If i right click the data bar, and select remove field, it
removes all of them!! Thanks.

Chris

"CMD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You should be able to click on the drop-down arrow, and un-check the
series/fields that you want to remove.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M