Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date / month trouble

I am trying to find a way of having a cell automatcally add the month & year
(mmmyy) from the date (ddmmmyy) which is already given in a different column
of the same worksheet.
e.g. shall we say cell I44 contains the date received 23/05/09 & I want
cell K44 to look at cell I44 & populate cell K44 with that particular month &
year from cell I44
I44 K44
Date received Month
23/05/09 May-09

Is there any easy way to do this without having to add an extra column to
the worksheet?
--
N Walton
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try

=IF(I44,TEXT(I44,"mmm-yy"),"")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"N Walton" wrote:

I am trying to find a way of having a cell automatcally add the month & year
(mmmyy) from the date (ddmmmyy) which is already given in a different column
of the same worksheet.
e.g. shall we say cell I44 contains the date received 23/05/09 & I want
cell K44 to look at cell I44 & populate cell K44 with that particular month &
year from cell I44
I44 K44
Date received Month
23/05/09 May-09

Is there any easy way to do this without having to add an extra column to
the worksheet?
--
N Walton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why dont you just put a formula and custom format to display as mmm-yy

In K44 enter the formula
=I44

Then select K44, right clickformat CellsCustom.Type the below.
mmm-yy

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Try

=IF(I44,TEXT(I44,"mmm-yy"),"")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"N Walton" wrote:

I am trying to find a way of having a cell automatcally add the month & year
(mmmyy) from the date (ddmmmyy) which is already given in a different column
of the same worksheet.
e.g. shall we say cell I44 contains the date received 23/05/09 & I want
cell K44 to look at cell I44 & populate cell K44 with that particular month &
year from cell I44
I44 K44
Date received Month
23/05/09 May-09

Is there any easy way to do this without having to add an extra column to
the worksheet?
--
N Walton

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jacob, Thankyou so much your a sat, I cant beleive how long I have been
trying to fathom this one out.

Thanks
--
N Walton

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Try

=IF(I44,TEXT(I44,"mmm-yy"),"")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"N Walton" wrote:

I am trying to find a way of having a cell automatcally add the month & year
(mmmyy) from the date (ddmmmyy) which is already given in a different column
of the same worksheet.
e.g. shall we say cell I44 contains the date received 23/05/09 & I want
cell K44 to look at cell I44 & populate cell K44 with that particular month &
year from cell I44
I44 K44
Date received Month