Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Add comma in last name first name

Currenly, I have lastname firstname in the same cell and need to add a comma
to show lastname, firstname in the same cell. Any suggestions for a formula?
Thank you in advance.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add comma in last name first name

Sure, I can help you with that! You can use the
Formula:
CONCATENATE
function in Excel to add a comma between the last name and first name. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cell where you have the last name and first name together.
  2. In the formula bar, type
    Formula:
    =CONCATENATE(A1,", ",B1
    where A1 is the cell with the last name and B1 is the cell with the first name.
  3. Press Enter and you will see the last name and first name separated by a comma in the same cell.

Alternatively, you can use the ampersand (&) symbol instead of the
Formula:
CONCATENATE
function. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell where you have the last name and first name together.
  2. In the formula bar, type
    Formula:
    =A1&", "&B1
    where A1 is the cell with the last name and B1 is the cell with the first name.
  3. Press Enter and you will see the last name and first name separated by a comma in the same cell.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=A1 &" , " & A2

"Johnnie" wrote:

Currenly, I have lastname firstname in the same cell and need to add a comma
to show lastname, firstname in the same cell. Any suggestions for a formula?
Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",", ")

so if A1 contains:
Ravenswood James
the formula returns:
Ravenswood, James
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200858

"Johnnie" wrote:

Currenly, I have lastname firstname in the same cell and need to add a comma
to show lastname, firstname in the same cell. Any suggestions for a formula?
Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ctrl+H

replace " " by ", "

the quotes are just to show the space.

hth
--
pleae click yes if it was helpfull
regards from Brazil

"Johnnie" escreveu:

Currenly, I have lastname firstname in the same cell and need to add a comma
to show lastname, firstname in the same cell. Any suggestions for a formula?
Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Of course, none of the suggestions handle the following two situations,
mainly because there is no way to handle them (except with a lookup table of
some sort)...

First Name: Mary Anne
Last Name: Jones

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Della Rossa

Name's (first or last) consisting of multiple "words" will always present a
problem and since the can be mixed together in the same list, there exists
no general solution on how to handle them. The above example uses name parts
from friends of mine; just think if they were this...

First Name: Mary Anne
Last Name: Della Rossa

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Johnnie" wrote in message
Currenly, I have lastname firstname in the same cell and need to add a
comma
to show lastname, firstname in the same cell. Any suggestions for a
formula?
Thank you in advance.

Extract the text between last comma and last but one comma. Sreedevi Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 5th 08 11:12 PM
Comma Delimited-need comma at beginnng & end Tattoo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 December 11th 07 04:39 PM
Dot and comma raigo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 October 25th 06 08:37 PM
Comma Gary Excel Worksheet Functions 3 July 17th 06 06:05 AM
Excel How do I create a comma delineated xls file to a comma delineated. Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 November 26th 04 10:28 PM