Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saving email attachments

Customer has a spreadsheet attachment that he opens from his email and
modifies. He said he continually saved the document. I don't see how that
is possible in 2007 because it will not allow you to just save a read-only
file. If he did save it, as "Stewart 1", where is it? He is nokw up to
Stewart 3, but the changes he made are on Stewart 1 or Stewart 2. Any ideas
would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have him open it up and then use File -- Save As and look at the path
provided, that'll tell you where it went. Might be in temporary internet
files area, or somewhere else.

"Dixon7" wrote:

Customer has a spreadsheet attachment that he opens from his email and
modifies. He said he continually saved the document. I don't see how that
is possible in 2007 because it will not allow you to just save a read-only
file. If he did save it, as "Stewart 1", where is it? He is nokw up to
Stewart 3, but the changes he made are on Stewart 1 or Stewart 2. Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you open it up and add a little VBA code module to it? (It'll need to be
saved as .xlsm after adding the code unless you decide not to keep the code).

Sub WhereDoILive()
MsgBox "I am stored in: " & vbCrLf & ThisWorkbook.FullName
End Sub

Just open the workbppk, press [Alt]+[F11] to open the VB Editor. In it,
choose Insert -- Module and copy the code above and paste it into the module
presented to you. Then simply run the macro to see the full path to the
workbook.

"Dixon7" wrote:

Customer has a spreadsheet attachment that he opens from his email and
modifies. He said he continually saved the document. I don't see how that
is possible in 2007 because it will not allow you to just save a read-only
file. If he did save it, as "Stewart 1", where is it? He is nokw up to
Stewart 3, but the changes he made are on Stewart 1 or Stewart 2. Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jaf jaf is offline

Hi,
If you open a file attachment and then save it, it is saved to a temporary internet folder.
Search there.

John

"Dixon7" wrote in message ...
Customer has a spreadsheet attachment that he opens from his email and
modifies. He said he continually saved the document. I don't see how that
is possible in 2007 because it will not allow you to just save a read-only
file. If he did save it, as "Stewart 1", where is it? He is nokw up to
Stewart 3, but the changes he made are on Stewart 1 or Stewart 2. Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jaf jaf is offline

In that case the file does not exist.
You can stop looking for it.

John

"Dixon7" wrote in message ...
Customer has a spreadsheet attachment that he opens from his email and
modifies. He said he continually saved the document. I don't see how that
is possible in 2007 because it will not allow you to just save a read-only
file. If he did save it, as "Stewart 1", where is it? He is nokw up to
Stewart 3, but the changes he made are on Stewart 1 or Stewart 2. Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I go along with jaf - he's not really ever saved it. If it was read-only,
Excel is going to ignore his changes no matter what. Needs to Save As and
then work with the renamed copy.