Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I abbreviate a year?

I am entering some data and need to abbreviate the year. Instead of 2009, I
need it to read '09, or '05, etc.

I have selected "treat as Text," but that doesn't work. I seem to remember
there was a way to do it, but for the life of me, I can't remember how.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

2 ways... I fyou just ant text type in two apostrophies

''09
will show up as '09

or
change the format of the cell to be custom
Format - Cell... |Number tab | Custom
'00
Now if you type in a 9 it will show up
'09
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Yvonne" wrote:

I am entering some data and need to abbreviate the year. Instead of 2009, I
need it to read '09, or '05, etc.

I have selected "treat as Text," but that doesn't work. I seem to remember
there was a way to do it, but for the life of me, I can't remember how.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The real question is how are you entering the dates? Are they Excel dates
or are you entering them as numbers only. In otherwords, 1/1/2009 which you
want to display as '09 or are you typing in 2009 and wanting that to display
as '09?

If you are trying to enter 2009 and have it show as '09 then you can create
a formula in another cell assuming that 2009 is in A1:

=TEXT(RIGHT(A1,2),"'00")
or
="'"&RIGHT(A1,2)
or you could enter
=--("1/1/"&A1) and then format the cell to 'yy
the advantage to this last one is that you actually have a date in the cell.

If you want to enter a date in A1 and see it as '09 then use the same format
as shown above: 'yy

If you just want to enter '09 in the cell format the cell as text and type
'09 into A1.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire