Arobind

Default Setting macro security level to "low" permanently?

Hi Dave,
I got the IT people to look at this. They tried to help, but could not. We
tried setting the HKEY variable and the whole nine yards. In the end, I was
told that Microsoft does not allow the security level to be set permanently
to LOW. Somehow, I don't buy that. I think this can be set via one of the
HKEY variables. Would you happen to know which? I have Excel 2000 (9.0.7616
SP-3). Your help/opinion will be greatly appreciated.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

This is an application setting that should stick the way you set it.

I think that visit to your IT department is still in order.

Or did you try them and they gave you a response that didn't jibe with your
other thread.

Arobind wrote:

Hi,
Whenever you open a new Excel sheet, the macro security level is set to
"Medium" by default. How can I set to be "low" permanently?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I use xl2k at work (under win2k). I have security set to low. (I only open
workbooks that should be opened at work!)

I've never seen it change from what I set it (via the dialog, too!).

I use xl2002 at home under win98SE and I can have it set for low (but at home, I
sometimes open workbooks that I shouldn't!), so I have it set for medium.

But my setting is always remembered and never changed on either pc.

From a previous post:

The Excel security setting is saved in the registry under this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Security

This is for Excel 2003. Should be something similar for other versions.

The item is "Level". You'd set this to 2 for medium

===

and just to add: 1 = low, 2 = medium, 3 = high.
And 11.0 is xl2002.

So for xl2k, you'd want 10.0