tot

Default why don't some columns or rows add correctly

Why is it that on some of my worksheets, when adding a column down, the total
is off?
Peo Sjoblom

Off from what?

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

Peo Sjoblom

"tot" wrote in message
Why is it that on some of my worksheets, when adding a column down, the
total
is off?

Neil

If you mean that the total at the bottom is different from the total of the
cells that are displayed on screen, check for roundings errors created by
your cells number formats.

E.G.

A1 = 2.5645
A2 = 2.3045
A3 = 2.5045

If A4 =Sum(A1:A3) then it should equal 7.3735

However, if your number formats are changed to maybe two decimal places then
they will still add up correctly but will br displayed only to two places,
and will be rounded accordingly.

The most likely cause of this problem is that the numbers in the cells you
are adding are derived from formulae, meaning they have a few decimal places,
but are only being displayed to less, when Excel adds the cells, it add the
full number, not the displayed umber, hence your adding error.

Hope all this makes some sense.

Neil
www. nwarwick.co.uk