Simon Shaw

Default hidden rows & columns slow file open

Hi,

I have found that if I have extensive Rows and Columns Hidden in the Sheets
of a large Workbook, that it causes Excel 2000 to take a long time to open a
file. It opens quickly in version 2003. If I set all Columns and Rows to
Hidden = False during the BeforeSave event in ThisWorkbook sheet, the file
re-opens quickly. Note: During use of the workbook I have individual
Worksheet_Active event procedures that set certain Rows and Columns to Hidden
= True based on various criteria.

Is this a known issue, and the only solution? It makes saving the file
slow... not as slow as opening, but it is a compromise. It was taking so long
to open the file, that users were calling thinking there was a problem...
rather than waiting for the file to eventually open - 30 to 40 seconds, which
causes just about anyone to think there is a problem. now it open in about 5
to 8 seconds with all the Rows and Columns set to Hidden = False

Thanks

Simon