Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jen Jen is offline

Default Picking one cell will highlight four or five, Excel 2007

At first I thought it may be a mouse problem; but today, with two different
worksheet open side-by-side, this would happen in one worksheet but not the
other. I try to pick just one cell, but the cell I pick plus the four or
five cells below it get highlighted. It makes copying & pasting all but
impossible. The problem is intermittent too, it starts and stops with
seemingly no reason. Has anyone else experienced this?

Excel 2007, Win XP SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's hard to be sure, having not seen your screen while this was
happening, but I've noticed something which might be the same or at
least be related. It's almost as if Excel has anchored a selection in
one cell and when I click on any other cell it selects a group of
cells.

Even if that's not a description of what you are talking about, you
might try what seems to often (but not 100% of the time) work - pressing
the Esc key.

In extreme cases, saving the workbook and then closing and finally
re-opening the workbook has always worked, but it's a real productivity
killer!

--
jamescox
jamescox's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=449

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jen Jen is offline

I've encountered the "anchored selection" before and that's not quite what's
happening here. No matter where I pick, the cell I pick plus the ones below
are highlighted. Hitting esc doesn't help, I've tried. It often stops as
abruptly as it begins without any rhyme or reason. Totally wierd.

"jamescox" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try setting your Zoom level a little higher or lower to stop the
multi-selects.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP