Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XLSW File Extension

Can anyone tell me what the XLSW file extension is, with regards to MS Excel
2007? I have a user who was working on a spreadsheet from her personal
server home-drive, when she temporarily lost connection to the server.
Windows XP SP2 switched into Offline File mode automatically. Somehow, when
the system Synchronized the file, it changed the extension to XLSW and
"zeroed out" the file (i.e. the file is now 0kb in size). This format opens
in Word 007, but it is blank.

Actually, we are not sure if Excel saved the file as XLSW, or if the Windows
Offline Files was responsible for the change. Does anyone have any idea what
may have happened? We already restored a copy of the file from a previous
version from the day before (losing the 2 hours of work she did that day),
but we would like to know what happened in case it comes up again.

Thank you in advance!
--
Steve Murray
Systems Network Analyst
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think XLSW is an extension supported by Excel 2007. (See
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...0/671995.aspx).

XLSX is the default format... sync program might have changed it to XLSW...
if Excel had created the file then it won't have been empty...