Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default queries with multiple criteria

hello :)

I have an access database that maintains master information on all CSRs in
my department, their production, and their errors. I am trying to bring the
information about specific errors into excel by category. The problem is
that each of the error categories is listed by client. So, for example, I
have errors on client A's letters, errors on Client B's letters, errors on
client A's envelopes, errors on client b's envelopes.

What I am trying to do is total all of the letter errors, and all of the
envelope errors by CSR, regardless of which company they were charged to.
There are 20 clients overall that have this data stored, so a typical query
with "or" functioning won't work, there are too many fields.

Short of doing an individual query per client per error, is there an easier
way to get this information tallied?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
how are you doing this query? ADO? MS Query? Other? what are you calling a
"typical query". information llike that would be very helpful.
i think the easiest thing to do is go back to access and write the query
there. it would be a lot easier. then all you have to do is download the
access query results via MS query. i have done this many time and for many
years and it's a lot easier to download access querys than to try and write
the query in excel.
and in that way, excel becomes just a query viewer.....a "front end" in
which you can manipulate the data further should you wish.

post back with more info on the query method.

Regards
FSt1

"Sandre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm using MS Query in Excel at the moment. I did try to write the query in
Access, but I am still faced with too many lines of "or" statements to be
able to make a single query to get all the information on one output. what
I'm trying to do looks something like this:

Client A letters Client B letters Client C letters Client D letters
=1

=1
=1
=1

And so on through all 20 clients. But neither program seems to be able to
handle that many "or" criteria.

I don't have any place where "letters" isn't broken down by client, so I
have to work with all 20 at one time. I would prefer to work in Access and
just pull the query over into Excel, but I'm not sure I can get it done
either place. I'm totally open to suggestions.

For me a typical query would be a query I can pull in from Access with a
limited number of criteria to be met (for example, date range or client),
which are reasonably easily created and modifiable. But this just has too
many things I need to pull in.

"Sandre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
sorry to take so long to get back.
you seem to have a problem. maybe it might be the way the table was set up
to start with. step one of db creation (tables) is extremely important
because it dictates very thing that comes after...input forms, reports,
queries, etc. a wild guess on my part since i haven't seen your tables(data).
on thing i have done in the past when confronted with what i think is a
similar situation was to write several queries in access then use these
queries to write a master query.
without seeing your tables(data), it would be difficult to recomend a "best"
solution. so i am not sure what to recommend at this time.

regards
FSt1