Kirby

Default Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

I'm running Office 2000 and recently have found that double-clicking on an
existing Excel file won't open the file, it only opens the Personal
Worksheet, but I can open the file using File Open. I thought this might be
related to the fact I'm getting low on resources errors when I run Word, even
thought I have 512Mb of RAM and no other applications open.
Dave Peterson

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson

Rickettsjt

Dave,

I'm having the same problem, but I can't get into Excel, the program will
not open, Ive tried reinstalling Office and still no go. What do you
suggest? TJ

Kirby wrote:

I'm running Office 2000 and recently have found that double-clicking on an
existing Excel file won't open the file, it only opens the Personal
Worksheet, but I can open the file using File Open. I thought this might be
related to the fact I'm getting low on resources errors when I run Word, even
thought I have 512Mb of RAM and no other applications open.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Can you get into excel in safe mode?

windows start button|Run
excel /safe

If that works, here are a couple of sites that explain how to troubleshoot this.

Chip Pearson's:

Jan Karel Pieterse's:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

Kirby wrote:

I'm running Office 2000 and recently have found that double-clicking on an
existing Excel file won't open the file, it only opens the Personal
Worksheet, but I can open the file using File Open. I thought this might be
related to the fact I'm getting low on resources errors when I run Word, even
thought I have 512Mb of RAM and no other applications open.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tried the solutions as mentioned herein, uninstalled and even reinstalled
office 2003 but still the same problems,
excel opens in normal mode ie book1 opens on clicking excel icon but when
double clicking anyfile in windows explorer or on desktop the file does not
launch. file launches from open command inside excel toolbar.
checked with file type/extension settings DDE checked etc.
Jan Karel Pieterse's:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the usual fix for this.

ToolsOptionsGeneral Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications"

If no joy with that................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:04:00 -0700, dharm
wrote:

Tried the solutions as mentioned herein, uninstalled and even reinstalled
office 2003 but still the same problems,
excel opens in normal mode ie book1 opens on clicking excel icon but when
double clicking anyfile in windows explorer or on desktop the file does not
launch. file launches from open command inside excel toolbar.
checked with file type/extension settings DDE checked etc.
Jan Karel Pieterse's:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greetings Dave,
I tried both and it still didn't work. I just installed Office 2007 and ran
across this problem of not being able to get an excel file opened from
Windows Explorer. I tried the Tools Option below, but the Ignore box was
already unchecked. Then I tried re-registering excel (which seemed to run
okay), but it didn't resolve the problem. I also notice that when nothing
comes up if I go into the body of excel (where the spreadsheet should be) and
right click, an "open" option comes up. This sends windows to a directory
structure (files in my default folder)". Then if I hit CANCEL, the original
file I tried to open comes up. Do you have any other ideas? I also just
installed XP Service pack 3 - could that be messing me up?

Thanks - Steve

Kirby wrote:

I'm running Office 2000 and recently have found that double-clicking on an
existing Excel file won't open the file, it only opens the Personal
Worksheet, but I can open the file using File Open. I thought this might be
related to the fact I'm getting low on resources errors when I run Word, even
thought I have 512Mb of RAM and no other applications open.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

xl2007 has a problem where the opened file doesn't display until you do
something like you did. But the file is actually opening.

So far there is no fix--just workarounds.

Or you could open excel first, then open the workbook via ctrl-o.

Kirby wrote:

I'm running Office 2000 and recently have found that double-clicking on an
existing Excel file won't open the file, it only opens the Personal
Worksheet, but I can open the file using File Open. I thought this might be
related to the fact I'm getting low on resources errors when I run Word, even
thought I have 512Mb of RAM and no other applications open.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this problem that's been
around for several years. I've never experienced it until I got Excel 2007.
And the funny thing is the problem doesn't exist at work - just on my version
at home. I think the easiest work around is just to open excel first and
either use excel's file manager or else toggle back to Windows Explorer and
then open the file (as that also works). Thanks again! - Steve