Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PL PL is offline

Default Negative Numbers

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello PL,

In the row underneath you can use for example
=ABS(A1)
This gives you the positive value of what is in cell A1, no matter if what's
there is positive or negative.
Then you can extend this formula across to the right.

After this, you can use copy | pastespecial values on the new row to get rid
of the formulae.

--
If you found this post helpful, please click "Yes".
Allllen

"PL" wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose you have your numbers in Column A; use the below formula in ColB
cell B1 and copy that down..

=ABS(A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"PL" wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

select the row
ctrl + f
find: -
replace with blank.

On Jun 13, 2:14*pm, PL wrote:
How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use an auxillary column. If your numbers are in column A put in new column
the formula

=-1*A1

Then copy the formula down the new column. Next, copy the postive numbers
in the new column to the old column using pastespecial values.

If you have both positive and negative numbers in the original column the
use this

=if(A1<0,-1*A1,A1)

"PL" wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's assume that the row contains a mixture of positive and negative numbers.
Let's assume that we are talking about row #1.

In A2 enter:
=ABS(A1) and copy across.

Then copy row #2 and pastespecial/values back onto row #1
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200856

"PL" wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter -1 in a cell.

Copy that cell.

Select the range of negative numbers and EditPaste SpecialMultiplyOKEsc.

No need for helper column.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 02:14:01 -0700, PL wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones without doing so
individually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones
without doing so individually?

I'll admit that the question is a bit ambiguous but the useful variant
ot Paste Special will work only if *all* the numbers in the row are
negative.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think if you re-read Gord's post, you'll see that he stipulated selecting
the *negative* numbers.

With the procedure he described, you can pick and choose between and among
the ranges to select *only* the negative numbers before performing the
multiplication.

RD

wrote:

How do I change all the numbers in a row into positive ones
without doing so individually?

I'll admit that the question is a bit ambiguous but the useful variant
ot Paste Special will work only if *all* the numbers in the row are
negative.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I think if you re-read Gord's post, you'll see that he
stipulated selecting the *negative* numbers.

With the procedure he described, you can pick and choose
between and among the ranges to select *only* the negative
numbers before performing the multiplication.

You are indeed correct! I took the word "range" in Gord's post to mean a
contiguous range. Sorry!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland