Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I set the default recalculate option to automatic?

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is an application setting. ToolsOptionsCalculation..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Neil" wrote:

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jacob
I am using Office/Excel 2007 - no 'Tools' option on the ribbon menu there.
That is the problem - nowhere to set universal defaul options.
Neil

"Neil" wrote:

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In 2007, click the Office Button, then Excel Options and Formulas.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Neil" wrote:

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jacob.
But that only sets it for that Workbook.
I want to be able to set automatic calculation as the default option for all
workbooks at once.

Neil

"Neil" wrote:

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel uses the calculation mode of the first workbook opened.

Doesn't matter if subsequent workbooks were save in auto mode if the first
one is in manual mode.

Workaround is to have your Personal.xlsb saved in auto mode which will set
the mode for subsequent opened workbooks.

Or just any hidden workbook in XLSTART folder will do.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Neil" wrote:

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Gord
Sounds interesting workaround - but not sure I understand about
"personal.xlsb" or "any hidden workbook in XLSTART folder".
Please could you explain how I do both of these?

Thanks

"Neil" wrote:

ans there any way that I cna set a default option so that "automatic
recalculate" becomes the default for all worksheets, old and new?
It seems silly that you have to open a worksheet saved with the automatic
recalculation option in it for other worksheets to be that way. There is no
way i can remember how I saved each and every spreadsheet I have used over
the last 10 years!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I must say that I find this all rather starnge. I would have thought that
being able to change a global setting for how Excel calculates workbooks
(between automatic or manual) via the Office button and the settings tab,
would have not been that complicated and indeed very useful (rather than just
being able to change it for each individual workbook).

Maybe M/S could look at including this in future upgrades?