Christopher in Bellefontaine

Default Auto-Enter Data from One Sheet to Another

Help, please! I have been literally tearing my hair out trying to figure out
how to get this to work for over 6 months now, and I am still coming up empty.

Here is what I have.

Column A Column B
Supplier # Supplier Name
xxxxxxxx Nishikawa
xxxxxxxx Johnson Controls
xxxxxxxx Furukawa
xxxxxxxx Honda Lock
xxxxxxxx Takata Petri

Etc., etc. (there are approximately 1000 different supplier numbers with
corresponding supplier names).

This is on one worksheet. In the same book, I have another worksheet that
has a form that requires data to be entered into it on a daily basis. I have
cells that require the Supplier Number and Supplier Name be entered. I wish
to set this sheet up so that as soon as I enter the Supplier Number in one
cell, the corresponding Supplier Name will be entered in the appropriate
cell. I have this form copied many times on one sheet, as each set of cells
corresponds to a typed Incident Number, so I need this formula to work many
times on the same sheet, each time I enter the Supplier Number the
corresponding Supplier Name is entered in the appropriate cell.

This seems to me like something that should be fairly simple to do, but I
CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT! Any assistance from you guys and gals would
be GREATLY appreciated!

I posted this question before but lost the thread, and I never received an
email stating a response was posted. So if someone would reply to me via my
email which is clmallow at charter.net, I would be forever thankful.

-Christopher

JE McGimpsey

In article ,
. com wrote:

I posted this question before but lost the thread, and I never received an
email stating a response was posted. So if someone would reply to me via my
email which is clmallow at charter.net, I would be forever thankful.

That's not the way newsgroups work...

See

http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
JE McGimpsey

In the second sheet:

Assume you put the supplier number in C1:

=VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet1!A:B,2, False)

In article ,
. com wrote:

[...]

Okay. This didn't work for me at all for some reason.

I am rather ignorant when it comes to entering a formula that is more than
basic math computations or cell references within the same worksheet.

What is the "2" for in the formula?

Okay, maybe if I asked the question better, that would help.

Worksheet 1 is called "Suppliers" and Column A has the Supplier Number and
Column B has the Supplier Name.

Worksheet 2 is called "Master IPS Damage Log" and the Supplier Number (some
Supplier Numbers start with a "0" so I had to format the cell as Text so the
zeros would show in the cell and not eliminate them) is entered in numerous
locations throughout the sheet. Each page on the sheet has approximately 9
or 10 "forms" on it, one for each Incident Number. For example, Incident #
042205I400 has a set of cells for related data entry, and the first form has
the Supplier Number entered in cell G8, for which I need the Supplier Name to
be automatically entered into cell B10 based on the columns in the
"Suppliers" worksheet.

The next Incident # 042205I401 would have the Supplier Number entered into
cell G13, for which the Supplier Name would need to automatically be entered
into cell B15, and so on and so forth for the rest of the proceeding Incident
Numbers and pages on the worksheet.

So based on this information, could you tell me the exact text for the
formula I would need to type into cells B10, B15, B20, etc., on the Master
IPS Damage Log" worksheet to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help...

-Christopher