Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Strategy Needed for storing data in these fields

I have data that needs to be in a relational database but I only have Excel.

Name
Association (many to many with Name)
Committee (many to many with Name) - no relation to Association
Committee Role

I can't see how to combine these into one sheet and still be able to run a
Pivot table after.

My initial thought is store the data on two sheets. I was hoping to avoid
typing the name on both sheets. A person does not necessarily have a
committee or an association.

Sheet: Association

Name
Association

Sheet: Committees

Committee
Committee Role

Any advice?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Why not have it on one sheet
Name Association Committee Committee Role

You will have to enter as many rows per Name, as there are Associations and
/ or Committees that they belong to.
The typing shouldn't be too bad, as you can use Control + ' (control plus
single quote) to copy the contents from the the cell above, for the names.
Once you have entered association in the column, you will only have to type
sufficient characters for it to be recognised.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

" wrote in
message ...
I have data that needs to be in a relational database but I only have
Excel.

Name
Association (many to many with Name)
Committee (many to many with Name) - no relation to Association
Committee Role

I can't see how to combine these into one sheet and still be able to run a
Pivot table after.

My initial thought is store the data on two sheets. I was hoping to avoid
typing the name on both sheets. A person does not necessarily have a
committee or an association.

Sheet: Association

Name
Association

Sheet: Committees

Committee
Committee Role

Any advice?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The issue is these are many to many relationships. Someone could have
multiple associations and committees and others may only have one of each.

I know it's wrong to create Assoc1, Assoc2, Assoc3, etc because you will
fields with no data.

Thoughts?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

And what is wrong with empty fields?
You say you want to Pivot the data.
This would be absolutely fine for Pivoting.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

" wrote in